one-shot #27

Prompt: Y/N is scared of the thunder and Hermione tries to calm her down during a particularly heavy storm.

It was the middle of April. The birds were chirping, bugs were buzzing, rabbits were hopping... No actually, they weren't. It was the worst storm that anyone had seen at Hogwarts in decades. The wind blew through the castle, making doors slam shut and open on their own. Whistling could be heard through the windows. Rain poured on the roof of the castle, the sound bouncing off the walls and echoing through the halls. Thunder struck down everywhere it possibly could.

The fireplace was lit and the smell of coffee filled the room. Hermione was reading on one of the few couches in the Gryffindor common room. Her left side was leaned against the left arm of the couch, holding up a familiar book titled Hogwarts: A History. In her other hand she held a mug that she sipped coffee from every few minutes.

Beside the howling wind and loud thunder booming every minute, the common room was quiet. It was Hermione's dream; no loud noises, no people, nothing to distract her from her reading.

On the other hand, Y/N was pacing around her dorm room. She was the opposite of relaxed. Every time a crash of thunder was heard, she jumped. Flashes of lighting scared her. The wind howling throughout the castle scared her. 

It was when the whole castle shook after lightning struck that Y/N decided she couldn't stay in her dorm anymore. She grabbed her jacket and threw it on, then swiftly left her room. She made her way down the spiral staircase to the common room and started to make her way to the exit, not paying any attention to anything, or anyone, in the room.

"Y/N? Where are you going?" Hermione spoke from the couch, leaving Y/N to turn towards her.

"Just a walk."

"During this storm? No, come sit with me." Hermione pat the open spot on the couch next to her.

Although Hermione hated when people interrupted her reading, or anything she was doing for that matter, she always loved when Y/N joined her. Ever since their first year at Hogwarts she felt a special connection to the girl. When they first met, Y/N was shy, scared even. It took a while for her to warm up to the busy-haired girl. But when she finally did, it was like they've been friends their whole life.

Y/N reluctantly agreed and made her way over to the couch. She sat next to Hermione, leaving barely any space between the two. The way Y/N was fidgeting with her fingers and how her leg was bouncing clued to Hermione that something was wrong.

"Is everything alright, Y/N/N?"

Y/N silently nodded and started to tap her fingers on the tops of her knees. Hermione sighed and turned towards her. She grabbed Y/N's hand and intertwined their fingers.

"What is it? You can tell me, I won't judge."

Y/N relaxed at Hermione's touch and turned to face her. Her eyes were almost glossed over, and her brow was pointed up, as if she was about to cry. Hermione's face softened and she brought her hand up to Y/N's cheek. She gently rubbed her thumb along Y/N's face.

"What is it, love? Is it the storm?"

Butterflies erupted throughout her stomach, her whole body even. Y/N swore that if she were standing she would collapse from her knees going weak. Y/N hated physical interaction. Hugs, cuddles, holding hands, all of that. But whenever Hermione would want to hug her or get close enough to where their bodies are touching, she didn't care. In her mind, she loved it.

Y/N nodded and Hermione squeezed her hand. "Why don't you read with me, maybe it'll distract you?"

"Okay, yeah."

Hermione leaned her back against the arm of the couch and pulled Y/N into her, so her front was against Y/N's back. Hermione grabbed the book then wrapped her arms around Y/N's torso, pulling her tighter against her body.

"I-Is this okay?" Hermione placed her head on Y/N's shoulder and looked at her.

Y/N smiled and nodded. She relaxed into the busy-haired girl's touch and took the book from her. "What're we reading now?"

"Well, I was reading Hogwarts: A History," Hermione giggled as Y/N groaned, "but now we're going to read The Fault in Our Stars."

"Something sad? During this weather?" Y/N laughed and flipped open the first page of the book. She started reading and she finally relaxed. She was completely oblivious to the smile that was growing on Hermione's face, and the butterflies she felt as Y/N said each word.