twenty | butter milk

c h a p t e r : 20

The sun was a scorching ball of fire today.'Uff! So hot' Ahana thought to herself while using the handkerchief in her hand to dab the beads of sweat on her forehead, she was on her way back to her home from the Blueberries Cafe.

Feeling a vibration in her side bag hanging on her right shoulder followed by a 'Gngngng' sound, she brought the bag to her front and took out the phone opening the zip. A number appeared with 'Maa(Mother)' written on the lock screen of her phone, she tapped on the answer option and brought the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Ahana?"

"Haa Maa (yes mother) ?"

"Where are you?"

"On my way back."

"Acha (Okay) Listen, bring Butter Milk with you. I am going to make Butter Chicken today", with a smile in her voice.

Ahana's face lit up with the mention of Butter Chicken, "Okay", she said in an excited voice, ending the call.

"Lettuce", Ishaan muttered to himself which was one of the many items written on the piece of paper, and picked a bunch of fresh green lettuce leaves tossing it into the basket.

He again looked for the next item which was milk. So with the cart filled with groceries, he went towards the Dairy Section which was at the opposite end from where Ishaan was standing.

He was on his way only when someone collided with his cart and Ishaan's eyes closed themselves in dread, "Oops. Sorry", came a familiar voice and Ishaan opened his eyes to find Ahana with her short raven-black hair left cascading down to her nape while a few fringes framed her beautiful round face, he also noticed the electric-blue streak he had seen the first time.

"It's okay", he answered in his calm voice and now it was Ahana who noticed him. They had seen each other so many times that they could recognize each other with and without masks but then that was before Ahana knew Ishaan had an identical twin brother.

They stared at each other for a moment, then Ahana cleared her throat before it could become any more awkward and with a nervous smile she asked," Ishaan?"

Ishaan nodded but felt a tinge of disappointment that the first female friend he had ever made and had spent many evenings playing basketball, many mornings wishing each other 'good morning-s' and many afternoons passing each other friendly smiles of acknowledgment couldn't distinguish between him and Ayaan but it wasn't her fault, they looked exact copies of each other except their personality and some minute differences like Ayaan had a crooked nose while his was on the plain side.

"Hi", said Ahana with a bright smile, even it was covered. The scrunching of the mask and the smiling lines forming at the corner of her eyes gave the way.

"Hi", replied Ishaan, a smile forming of his own.

Ahana looked down towards the groceries in the cart, "Hmm. Grocery Shopping?"

"Y-yeah and you? What have you come to buy?", he asked politely.

"My mom asked me to buy Butter Milk. She is going to make Butter Chicken today, my favorite!", she exclaimed but then she met his eyes, "Oh sorry, are you a vegetarian?", she asked.

"It's fine and no, I am a non-vegetarian," he assured.

Ahana hadn't noticed it yet but now when she looked in her surroundings she realized they were at the same place they had met the first time, before the oranges. 'Dejavu' Ahana thought to herself but little did she know Ishaan was thinking the same.

˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊ ‧⁺˖

˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊   ‧⁺˖