thirty seven | moral support

c h a p t e r : 37

The exams ended yesterday so Ishaan had decided to take a break from the studies for some days.

He tied the shoelaces of his white sneakers and got up. Taking the bicycle keys in his hands, he left the front door.

Monsoon had arrived, the smell of petrichor constituted the air just like other gases, the trees waved mildly in monsoon wind causing the remaining droplets on the different surfaces of nature to fall on their original place, earth.

"She likes you"

The words Saloni pronounced at the departure time by taking him to the secluded place echoed in his mind. He was confused, he didn't know if he should feel happy or sad for the reason that Ahana thinks he doesn't like her.

'Why would she think this'  he decided they need to talk and that's why he'd asked Ahana to meet her at the park before the basketball in the evening but first, he needed some moral support so he'd asked Aditya to meet him at the Blueberries cafe before he met Ahana.

He slowed his pedaling and directed his bicycle at the empty parking space beside the cafe. He locked the cycle and went inside the cafe.

The owner, Mrs. Barua as usual greeted him with a polite smile. He ran his eyes over the tables but before he could utter a 'hi' to Aditya who was approving him, the latter grabbed his hand and brought him out of the restaurant.

"Wh-", Ishaan tried to ask, trying to compose himself when he noticed Aditya moving his head towards something behind him.

He turned and through the glass windows of the cafe he could see the black hair and the blue streak of hair facing Saloni.

'She needed some moral support too'

They went to the burger joint around the corner of the street. They took a seat and in the meantime, Ishaan ran his eyes over the wristwatch to see he still has one and half an hour.

He looked up and gazed at Aditya who was already looking at him and realized over the months, he'd gotten a friend. The first day he asked 'new student?' and today when they were seated in the cool atmosphere after the rain where he calmly listened to his perplexed friend seemed so distant.

Aditya was wearing a solid loose-fitted black shirt and black jeans with it the silver chain he wore around his neck contrasted so much with Ishaan's brown plaid shirt with a plain black shirt and light washed jeans but despite their differences, they accepted each other as friends and Ishaan couldn't be happier than this.

"So?", Aditya tried to break the silence.

Ishaan inhaled through his nostrils and exhaled noisily, "I don't know. Do..Do you think she really likes me?", he asked, insecurity pricked in his veins.

"Dude, why are you afraid of even if she likes you or not?"

Aditya was confused, he understood if Ahana liked his friend because why not?  he looked decent, was polite person, and an athlete. He knew that Ahana liked him when Ishaan had called him last night telling him about the talk with Saloni and agreed the moment the latter asked him to meet for moral support as he liked to call.

But what he didn't understand was why was so worried as if he was the one going to confess this evening unless...

"You like her", Aditya stated while looking square in Ishaan's eyes who stayed silent since it wasn't false.

˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊‧⁺˖