e p i l o u g e

Life kept moving and soon the midterms ended, Ahana and Ishaan decided to take a break and go somewhere alone, just the two of them.

Autumn was on the doorsteps filling the orchard they were seated in ochre, brown, and orange. Ahana and Ishaan were dressed in similar shades.

Ahana breathed in a sigh of relief, smiling at Ishaan who was sipping hot chocolate
So much have changed yet felt the same like how she met a different side of Ishaan, the confident one in these months of their dating, and how the new branch of the company her father worked in got opened but, someone else's name got selected which meant she won't be shifting anytime soon.

But who knows, life has a way of playing tricks and she smiled to herself while flipping through the pages of the anthology book Unspoken which had some of Ishaan's poems and the other writers whose poetry entries got selected in the competition.

She mused, "Hey! I've read this, it was in your diary".

Ishaan nodded and looked at the printed letters in black ink.

The monsoon wind blew the different summer perennials in my garden, intermixing their scents followed by a light drizzle.

The serenity with the rhythmic  pitter-patter took me to a certain era,
the era when the grass felt greener
and the sky, a bright shade of cerulean

But soon I was left behind with petrichor and glossy petals as remnants
while I wondered if those days would come around as rain...

Ahana read the words sitting before Ishaan, their hands intertwined while Ishaan drew slow circles at the back of Ahana's hand with his thumb. Suddenly a small frown appeared between Ahana's eyebrows and she turned to Ishaan, "What does the second stanza mean? When the grass felt greener..."

"Childhood days. It is used to symbolize the childhood days when we young innocent minds are free of worries and happy ".

They both went silent after that, "Tell me if that Shanya still pesters you", Ahana spoke up remembering the girl from section C who has a crush on Ishaan, her Ishaan despite knowing the fact he was taken, doesn't get the message.

Ishaan chuckled watching his girlfriend all riled up and moved his free hand to pinch her cheek and she playfully glared at him but soon started laughing herself.

Ishaan suddenly stared at her, watching her wavy long black hair in a half ponytail with few curls framing her face, eyes crinkled at the ends, and cheeks lifted while she laughed heartily, he'd grown to fall in love with it.

He looked around them and in the mean, Ahana had sobered up. There weren't many people and the place they were seated in was covered in trees. So without any preamble, he came forward and at the same time, Ahana looked up when Ishaan's mask-covered lips descended on Ahana's masked one just for a fraction of a second with a 'mch' sound after which it was gone.

It was so fast that Ahana remained shocked for at least ten seconds with her eyes wide open, "That is not how it's done", she informed.

This time she came forward, took Ishaan's face in her hands bringing him closer
Their hearts beat in a similar rhythm while their eyes drank each other in.

"Let me show you", with this lips met overlooking the clothed obstruction because sometimes it's not about skin touching skin but breathing the same air as the other because distances don't always mean separation it means loving the other despite the obstacles.

They might not be forever but they were together.

˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊‧⁺˖

THE END

Finished: June '21

Aaaaaaand Distances is complete after eight months of procrastination, effort, plotting, and laughing with my imaginary characters this book is complete.