Vote (40)

"So, we've talked about you having goals before, the things you care about. How can we make sure that you can stick to those things, Chara? How do we make sure you don't regress? Let's outline a plan."

"Umph, with all due respect doc, I just don't think it's a plan I need. No calculations." I stood up and started to passionately pace around my chair. "With thanks to you, on top of time and other things, I'm confident I know how to handle myself and my emotions. No more freak-outs!"

"Well... Let's talk about (Y/n), Chara."

"Hm."

"You said the first time we had a chat that you were going to put some space between you. Why change suddenly?"

I had to calm down a bit and place my butt on the seat for appearances. "I don't believe that waiting around for him to make his own decision so to speak was the best way forward. I don't think I should have to say I respect your opinion before disagreeing with it. If the ultimate goal is self-control then I always had the foundation for it, but there was a barrier now broken down that stopped me from being a normal person with any motivation to complete any sort of goal. If I really have self-control then there was no reason to wait for anything, no? All I did was tell him I want to be with him and that's that."

...

"I understand Chara, it's great that you've made so much progress already... But you should be careful not to overestimate yourself for the sake of going back to square one. Like you've done before."

Great progress..? Huh... And I suppose I still have a life's worth of time to prove myself even more.

"I agree."

(Y/n)

"Oh my God, I'm so nervous..."

"BLUE HUMAN. THERE IS NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF. YOU ARE ONLY UP AGAINST OTHER HUMANS."

"Papy, these specific humans are the worst part."

I patted Frisk on the back as she nervously played with her blue dress. It was late morning and the day that the results would bare fruit. Unlike past polls, the impact of the vote would be much more important. If Toriel and the monsters wanted to be taken more seriously and pose ideas that could actually change life and society of said monsters for the better, they needed the majority of the votes. It was fair to say that people weren't super warm the day things started to change, but the monsters were a known thing to certain people, especially those outside our little town, and if it wasn't for the known history of how the monsters were wronged, they probably wouldn't have had a chance to begin with, literally. Even at this point, they're barely second class, with plenty of them being able to go to the same school as everyone else, but not having any other facilities dedicated for them. It's tough.

Everyone was dressed up ready to attend the results service and thereby, the big discussion that needed to be had afterwards, on where the monsters stand. Toriel was stood by the door, waiting and watching out the window. I hadn't seen Chara all morning, but she was tasked at some point to get groceries - maybe to take her mind off things, maybe to just be helpful, maybe both. As self-centred as it was, I was still in appropriate joy that we were... Together again. Some parts of me felt embarrassed for relying on Chara as a person too much, mainly because my intentions weren't always pure. Chara has long been chastised as the bad one, and in terms of me, she was also the needy one. I am clearly just as needy though, and I tried to hide that neediness by tending to her and fooling myself into thinking that it was what she needed. If things didn't happen in the terrible ways they did... Maybe we'd both be far worse off right now. I looked upwards. Who do I have to thank for that?