Recovery (42)

I was slumped in my chair. I'd grown a little more comfortable staring at this white ceiling. Analysing the yellow labels and following where the wires would lead me successfully tired me out again and again.

Beep, Beep, Beep

A faint constant warning, along with some hoarse breathing woke me from my nightmare. The environment was the same as it had been for the past week.

"I brought you that coffee." Said (Y/n) quietly as he walked into the room, over to my chair.

"Thank you (N/n)." I said, as he squirmed into the chair. It wasn't big enough for the two of us to sit side by side, so I huffed quaintly and shifted my legs in an awkward manner over his.

"You look tired, Red." Said (Y/n) as he carefully brushed my hair aside.

"Is that true?" I asked. "I feel like all I've been doing is sleeping lately."

"Well people can get ice burns, right? I'm sure sleeping constantly isn't healthy either... Not that you can help it or anything, obviously, you have to be here, you should be here... And all that." He tried not to tread on a landmine, but it was easy to tell by this point what my silly boyfriend is trying to say before he usually finishes speaking. We're both odd people after all. I believed him, though. It makes sense. Looking tired after what I've been thinking about? Well, at least the current occasion doesn't require me to look my best right now.

Soon after, a nurse walked in alongside a primate-looking monster wearing a lab coat. I straightened out my posture and looked attentive.

"Ms. Dreemurr," He spoke decorously, "we've finished the tests on our side of things. Frankly, her condition isn't great, but it's not all bad."

Almost on cue, Mom stirred awake.

"Mom?" I whispered, immediately weaving my hand around hers as it lay along the side of the bed. She groaned sleepily into her oxygen mask, but she looked attentively at the doctors as they spoke.

"We believe she has a rare condition not treatable purely through human methods, from what we garnered from our talk the other day, we believe this is hereditary. Mrs. Dreemurr, you told us your mother went through something similar, correct? Probably, the closest human condition we can attribute it to would be tuberculosis."

My hand tightened around my Moms. This wasn't what I wanted to hear; tuberculosis isn't bad when you treat it, but this isn't the human kind.

"In terms of treatment," He continued, "It's not as easy as it would've been underground. Medicinal herbs and properties from there aren't the same as on the surface, some elements have been lost, though in turn some restorative attributes are even greater thanks to the new environment. We were smart to bring supplies with us when we arrived... We have flourishing greenhouses and such. The problem however, due to the relatively new nature of these flowers and their healing effects, mainly due to magic being far weaker, we need to give safer doses. Stronger ones may be more effective, but one mistake could cause a shock to the system, or worse. We're still in the process of how to correctly recreate our original medicine nowadays. If I remember, your mother Mrs. Dreemurr had physicians on hand who helped her in her old age. We think you'll need this too, albeit sooner, due to the recovery progress assumedly being much longer. With my assessment of our current circumstances, can we treat you and can you lead a long life? Yes. Do I think this disease is permanently curable? No. No, I think you'll have to undergo treatment for the rest of your life, especially as we'll need to constantly assess the deterioration of your lungs from what I showed you the other day."

"So... My Mom's going to be a sort of guinea pig for your new treatment stuff?"

(Y/n) squeezed my arm as if telling me not to cause a scene. We'd waited a week for this diagnosis because they just weren't well equipped enough to figure out what was going on, but I had no ill intent. It was just a simple question, and I didn't need to hear the doctor's words to understand the answer. If that was the nature of it, then so be it. At least they said they were sure she wouldn't die, not soon, but from here on out her life has been bound to the hospital. My heart ached. It's like there was no turning back the clock. Two weeks ago, my life was 'normal', and now there was another big corner to crash around. These are... My selfish thoughts.