Birthday (18)

"SURPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!"

"GAHHH!" Screamed Chara, as she awoke hastily with a fright. Her face was bright red as I laughed, greeting her with a variety of differently coloured balloons. "Happy birthday, Red!"

I jumped forward once more, falling into her lap goofily while still holding out the balloons. She took them with a hint of shock and looked at the writing: '17', before continuing to look around the room. I took the honour of spreading confetti and silly string all across the house, which I was quite proud of, evident by my wide grin. She got out of the messy bed with the balloons in hand, mouth a little open, and I began to follow her around closely as she took in all the celebratory décor that I put on display. I told mom that I was holding a surprise birthday for Chara, even though she had no idea who that was yet, and she obliged to let me have the house for free once more.

"W-What is this?" She asked enigmatically.

I looked at her funny. "Uh, I-I don't know. There isn't really a hidden meaning, I think. Happy birthday!"

She quickly handed me the balloons, and I took them back with surprise - they were pretty nice balloons after all. "Why did you do this? Do I have to do something back?" She asked.

She looked up at me as if her mom left her in the supermarket queue, and I couldn't help but giggle. "Don't do anything, just relax, it's your big day!" Then she said something which I was guessing by this point.

"I-I've never had a... birthday, before."

I smiled sympathetically at her as we stood in the passageway, before bringing her in to a tight hug. "Let me show you, then, what a birthday is supposed to be."

~

Chara sat idly on a swinging stool in the middle of the kitchen, watching me attentively as I worked around her. It was just before noon, and I was searching for ingredients. Dressed in her green nightdress, she held her balloons in her hand once more, which were pretty annoying to walk into, but she found an interest in the way they floated, and a laugh whenever it did bump into my head, so I let her be. I placed the eggs, flour, butter, sugar and milk on the table with a determined smile. "Let's do it right this time!" I exclaimed.

"Would you like me to help?" Asked Chara, but I shut her down quickly.

"This is supposed to be for you," I reminded. "But if you really want to help, you can pick out all the types of chocolate you want~"

She smiled broadly as I kicked the bottom cupboard door open to reveal the up-to-date stash of sweets and goodies available. I felt a small hug of appreciation on my back before she dug in and chose practically everything. "Now, break it all up into a bowl and melt it on the stove," I directed. "And Chara?" She turned to look at me with half a Twix already in her mouth. "Don't just eat it all, okay?" She nodded so quickly that I thought she wasn't going to pay any heed to what I just said, but from the times that I looked over at her, she seemed to be managing just fine.

I mixed all the ingredients in effortlessly, it wasn't my first time making a cake and it definitely wasn't going to be my last. The day was peaceful yet again. We should've technically been in school right now, but I used my previous efforts in class and a slight exaggeration of how much this day meant to me in order to convince mom to let me stay, which I was still surprised by. I looked over at Chara with a cordial smile. If you asked me to imagine what life would be like with her three months ago, it would be a very different image than the two of us, baking a cake together in our kitchen.

"I'm done!" She exclaimed as she brought over the now full bowl of liquidised chocolate. I nodded, and brought out the electric egg whisk that mom praises so dearly.