Human (24)

(Y/n)'s POV

I was preparing the kitchen whilst waiting for Chara to come back with the groceries. Everyone in the family managed to agree on curry, so I thought I'd try my hand at it.

DING DING DING

A frantic ringing of the doorbell, wouldn't be the first time Red forgot her keys. I couldn't find them on the shelf so I just went to open the door.

"...T-Toriel?" What should've been a nice surprise was making my heart beat. Her face seemed understanding as always, but really, really determined, and I don't think it would be crazy to assume that she knows. How or why, I'm not so sure.

"Is she really here? Please tell me, my child."

I wondered how to answer. I wasn't going to lie, but Red said that she was waiting for the right moment. When exactly that was, I wasn't so sure. Could it not have been now? The both of us had come a long way from the Underground, and I think that it was honestly time.

Struggling to look her directly in the eyes, I looked at everyone else worriedly. Sans was there, along with Papyrus and Undyne. Alphys stood there, and Frisk was shivering in the back - all of them with a kind of naivety of having never seen the calm and collective mother this way.

"Toriel, I-," I smiled as I saw a familiar face even further down by the entrance. "You can always ask her yourself."

I jogged past her, leaving the rest of that situation to Chara who was jogging this way too, because she deserved to have things her way. After a silent acknowledgement of comfort and what we've been through, I ran past everyone and embraced Frisk into a tight hug: One, to stop her trembling in place, and two, as a front to hide my thoughts. Was... she the one who caused all this?

I looked behind me briefly to see Chara and Toriel in a heartfelt embrace. Even if Frisk bought everyone here, it turned out alright. I slightly hate myself for everything I've done to Frisk, and I really hope she hasn't reached the point where she hates herself.

"This worked out so well in the end, everyone's actually happy." She smiled and let go of me. "It's like everyone belongs here." Looking back to everyone for not a moment too long, she briskly walked off. My embrace was still left in the air as I came to terms with the fact that I couldn't stop her shaking. I was confused, but I turned my back and faced everyone else. The others walked with me to the reunited pair, who were still hugging.

"Hey mom. It's me, Chara."

"Is it really?" Weeped Toriel.

"It is."

Papyrus awkwardly tried to join in, in which Toriel let him for a moment.

"I was going to come back to you soon. I was. I just wanted to make sure that I was ready, ready to be a part of everyone's life again."

Toriel sobbed and nodded understandingly, although she was still probably caught up in the heat of the moment. Sans wasn't paying attention, which I noticed.

"And please don't blame (Y/n)." Added Chara. "I-I asked him to keep things quiet till I was ready. He helped me a lot. Actually he's the most amazing person I know. He and I are... "

Toriel turned to me and mouthed the words 'thank you', to which I smiled and nodded proudly.

"(Y/n) and I both think this is the perfect time, still." Continued Chara. "I hope everyone can be happy now."

"Not everyone," Sans whispered into my ear.

I looked into his unfulfilled eyes and nodded dimly in response. "We should... find out where Frisk went... and make sure she's safe."