Now or never (5)

1 week later

I woke in the Monster Mansion with a loud yawn as I stretched and searched for the clock. Frisk was an early-riser, and disproving my hypothesis, her sleepovers were not helping me adapt to be as productive as her.

I've been visiting Chara everyday for the past week now, keeping her company and buying her new snacks as a literal taste of my world. It feels like she makes some effort when I talk to her, but honestly, even if she doesn't realise, she comes across as what everyone would expect. Pretty cold. I haven't learnt much about her at all since that first day, and I think she prefers to keep it that way. We've definitely grown a lot more comfortable together, though, and with how it seems Chara has been treated most of her life, I guess it's good to take things slowly.

Mom let me off my punishment when I volunteered to clean up that mess in the toilet - which even she found unbearable to be near. Plus, I have a feeling that Mr. Stevenson won't be up for second servings anytime soon.

"Good morning (Y/n)!"

I replied with a smile, "Morning Frisk."

The 14 year old didn't suspect anything about Chara and I could never afford her to. If she found out that I'd been visiting her, let alone plan on bringing her to the surface, I'd not only be dead but... I feel like she'd end up dying a little inside too. It's too late for me to tell her what happened and if I leave it any later than now, it'll just be worse. My only real option is to sort things out for all of us, and then we can all be in a state where we're happy.

"Hey sleepyhead! Do you plan on staying in that bed forever?" Frisk asked, skipping down the corridor. I do suppose I better get ready for the day ahead.

Timeskip

"Hey, (Y/n)?"

I looked up at Frisk. We sat opposite each other on the sofa, happily eating Toriel's pancakes.

"Are you, perhaps, doing anything later? Cars 3 is showing at the cinema and I, um, kinda wanted someone to watch it with."

"Isn't anyone else coming?" I replied, confused.

She started playing with her food as she always does and replied back. "I kinda already told everyone that I had a someone to go with, hoping it would be you! I mean, it's not like the monsters know what Cars is haha. So, I mean if you have plans..."

I smiled at Frisk who looked anxious for once. I suppose Chara can wait one day, right?

"Of course I'll go with you!"

She smiled, "Thanks, I... guess it's a date."

"As of last night, the Monster & Human Council have officially come to an agreement to close down the underground entrance after reports of civilians entering unlawfully and issues concerning health and safety, with Chief of security Mr. Watts leading the work this continuing weekend."

I turned to the TV in shock and squinted my eyes as if I didn't hear correctly.

THEY'RE SEALING THE ENTRANCE!? How am I supposed to see Chara now? Does she know what they're doing? Would she care...?

I don't even know if she's ready to come to the surface yet. Quickly, I dropped my bowl and started to head for the door.

"(Y/n)? Where are you going?" I turned to a worried Frisk as I struggled to fit into my shoes.

"Well, um, I think it's time I should head back; I don't want to be late and repeat last week, right?"

"But it's 2pm?"