Dinner Date (20)

It was too long, so I split these chapters into two! I couldn't resist uploading both parts instead of waiting, so enjoy!

There is a pretty important author's note at the end of the next chapter that I'd like you all to read, as well.
_______________________________

"So a double date, huh? Remind me why exactly you want to help Alphys and Undyne's relationship?" I asked with my head tilted uncomfortably to the side, ensuring that my phone didn't drop as I speak. I glanced at the mirror behind me for a quick second while rummaging through the wardrobe; if someone saw me they'd probably think I was trying my hardest to stop someone from tickling my neck. Something Chara would do in a super serious moment, I thought.

That's who I was on a call with, even though she was only on the other side of the wall, looking for a nice outfit herself. I'm used to the fact that it isn't the guest room anymore, as it was officially dubbed 'Chara's bedroom', with a homemade sign from my mom, and a drawing of a little heart to the side of the eloquent writing, added by Chara herself.

"(Y/n). You knoooow how kind-hearted I am."

I accidentally sniggered at the confidence she had as she said those words.

"HEY! This is just one way in which I can redeem myself... and all of that."

"And all of that?" I stuck my head out the wardrobe and stared at the wall with a smirk as if she could see my doubt.

I continued looking for some clothes while she sighed and 'um'd' through the phone, and eventually picked out a casual navy shirt, along with some matching chinos to go with it. "Alright, all I need is my watch and some shoes, and I'm ready! How far along are you?" I asked.

"Weeeell-"

I hung up immediately. The last time she dragged out her 'well' when we were getting ready for something, I had the time to change back and have a nap. And that was before she started on her make-up, which did not look like it should take an hour if I say so myself. I wouldn't dare tell her that, though. I sighed and let myself fall back onto the bed. This is rich, considering she was the one who rushed home yelling that we had to leave as soon as possible. You could say it was my fault, though, that I completely forgot about it.

~

I walked out of my room after a while and saw Chara comparing shoes with my mom.

"Is this one too flashy? The colour goes well with these earrings though."

Both of them were a stickler for fashion. At first, Chara had no problem walking around town with nothing else but her signature shorts and sweater, figuratively of course, it was more like 'no problem walking aimlessly around the house', but now, she's all for dressing to impress. The societal conventions of a teenage girl must be getting to her. Who am I to complain, though? She did look really good. I admired her while walking over to the shoe rack. I need to tell her that later.

Perhaps I could make the most of this date. So what if this is about Alphys and Undyne? I could always use this time to get a little closer to Chara. Ever since that first kiss, I've been dying inside to take it further, but how do I? I thought to myself I shouldn't. Chara comes with a lot of emotional baggage, and I understand now why so many people don't bother to help people who carry that kind of stuff. Who would want all of someone else's extra stress? Honestly, if it was someone else who came to me with all those problems, I don't know how I'd realistically help them. Chara is the one person in the world that I'm there for, however, so I'll go at whatever pace she wants to. I'm afraid to ask, but she probably has an issue with relationships; is it bad of me to assume that?