Old Habits (31)

Chara barely bursted through the front door before I set her food down next to the bed. I could hear the scuffling of her feet against the floor as she entered my room, then she tugged at me with wide puppy dog eyes.

"Go on!"

I looked to the side nervously. "Go on what?"

"Tell me the surprise!"

"Huh? Oh." I laughed. "Well I was thinking of getting a ca-"

"Like that huh? You're just going to tease me and pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about as you play your little annoying games and such?"

"What?" I squinted. "We're gett-"

"A CAT!"

Her delayed reaction made me hopelessly smile. "Uh, um yeah!"

"AS IN A CAT THAT'S A PET!?"

"Hahaha, yes!"

Chara swung her arms around me as hard and fast as she could.

"You remembered that I was interested in it a while ago, didn't you?"

"Yeah, of course."

"How do you remember stuff like that..." She sighed. "You are... too perfect."

I smiled, stroking the back of her head in the meanwhile. "That's a good thing, right?"

I sat down in the chair by my computer and Chara sat on my lap afterwards, leaning against my head.

I pulled up a bookmarked website and pointed to a list of locations on a map. "Here's the closest breeders to us, and I was thinking a specific pedigree would be a good choice."

"What kind?" She asked excitedly, scrolling through the page.

"Well," I said, "I thought a Bengal would suit you most. They're intelligent, athletic and they need lots of attention."

She put on a shocked smirk, "I do aim to please I suppose."

"I mean you're getting fatter and you're not that smart, so we have to fill the hole in somehow."

She gasped and punched my side. "(Y/n) that's too rude! What do you mean I'm getting fat?"

"Oh my God." I mumbled regrettably. "You're not."

"No, you wouldn't say it if it wasn't true." She seemed extremely concerned as she lifted her shirt, checking herself out.

"That makes no sense." I replied. "If I called you ugly are you magically ugly now."

"Yeah!"

"Ok." I watched her pinch her stomach in different places, even though she had like, 4 abs on display. She goes to the gym like double the time I do nowadays. "Well anyway, I did a lot of research on them, so I know how to care for them and what kind of stuff we should get. I'll run it through my parents tonight. I don't know if they'll allow it straight away, but they've known for a long time that I've wanted a pet."

"How come?" Even though her shirt was back down, she was still playing around with her stomach.

"I was just lonely I guess."

"So you chose the crazy cat lady path."

I laughed. "Basically."

I sat there and she looked at me a few times, not saying anything.

"Oh, you know a boy hit on me earlier."

I immediately let out a small laugh. "I'll knock him out."