Answers (13)

Sans... Oh no. I brought myself to my feet as I anxiously eyed his awry smile.

"(Y/n). Even for me, this is a really bad joke."

There, we stood face to face - like a Mexican Standoff - but I had no gun, in fact, he had a ticking bomb behind his glistening blue eye. It burned vividly in the darkened room, not like how he used to playfully show it off whenever an eager child came up to him on the street, this fire was intense, and the reason and passion behind it was even more so. This is the side of Sans that we all knew he had, but never thought, or hoped, we'd see in our life.

"What's with the silence, bro?" He grinned. "You're kinda wasting the teacher's time here."

I tried hiding the shakiness in my voice to no avail. "Sans, I... Um." I rested my eyes on the flame lit hand of his and tried to actually think about what to say. I've thought about the reason for doing all this before, plenty of times, and maybe... right now, it was time for some answers.

Harshly, I tried to bring out my words. "Chara... Is. Chara's my... Cha- Eh!"

I fell back a step as his deadly flame erupted from a sparkling blue to a blazing white. His expression turned into a grimace as I could see him physically writhe with confusion.

"Chara this, Chara that! Chara Why!? Was it not good enough for you?" He asked violently.

I didn't do anything else but stare at him in wonder, and it seemed like he was confused, too. We were put on common ground at this point, because I doubt that the either of us have ever witnessed him like this before. I suddenly took a more natural stance, knowing that if I was blasted to bits, it wouldn't be much of a tale, describing how I would've tried to survive.

"What do you mean, good enough?" I asked, curiously.

He laughed loudly, immediately sheathing his hands into his pockets. His moment of fluster ceased as quickly as it came, and he seemingly returned to his normal self in an instant.

"I'm just thinking kid." He examined the mess of a room lazily with a smile, and turned around to turn on the lights. "It was nice before, you and Frisk, she worked hard for a world like this, you know? So tell me. Why ruin it?"

I smiled a little childishly. This, I knew how to answer. "Chara, hasn't ruined anything nor will she ruin anything in the future."

He chuckled pitifully like I was a child. "She doesn't care about you, (Y/n). Or anything for that matter. You're just crushing on a cute girl, I can help you get over it."

That annoyed me. "I don't think you understand! Sans. I don't know what makes you work under those bones of yours, but she can feel, and she can hurt, and she made a mistake. Bad influences all around her."

"Okay. And now you want to help her because she can't handle herself? You were never as determined as Frisk anyway. You had a normal life."

...

A normal life...? I snapped internally. "All I've ever had is a normal life. No danger, no fun."

He rolled his hollow eyes as expected. "There's ways to have fun and not get killed."

"I know! But I can't keep going on, feeling like I'm just... a random guy trying to follow Frisk's shadow."

"I've known you for a while, kid, but jealousy? You want to tear this family apart because you're jealous?"

"Maybe! But Chara will not tear this family apart, she'll make it stronger, like how it used to be! We'll prove it!"

Sans laughed maniacally as I spoke, another side of him I never saw before, and I began to wonder how much I thought I knew of him in the first place.