4. all right now

I was nauseous

I was nauseous. I knew this would be hard but I didn't think it would make me this ill. I blamed Harry, his stupid guilt trip hadn't left my head so all I could think about is how badly I hurt them.

Rose opened the cafe early so that we could meet in a place that is comfortable for me, just in case it didn't go well. I had hopes that it would be okay, he didn't sound mad when he called, he sounded more relieved than anything so that was a good sign.

The cafe was empty, just Rose and Bash hiding out in the storage room, ready to assist if needed. I had my latte on the table and I was fidgeting with my coat, trying to settle my nerves. I went through about seven outfits trying to pick something to wear that was nice but not weirdly nice, and not too revealing, and not too warm, it was truly a shit show. In the end, I settled on a pair of loose-fitting jeans with sneakers and a tight long-sleeved shirt. I threw on a jacket and ran out the door so I could meet Rose here.

The Marino siblings didn't ask questions, they didn't hound me for information, they simply raised their eyebrows a bit when I told them my brother was coming to visit. They didn't even know I had a brother, I don't ever talk about my family so all they know is that I don't see my family so I'd imagine it was pretty shocking to hear me mention a brother out of nowhere, but they handled it with ease as they always do and didn't make me feel like shit about it.

I'd been sitting at the cafe for about 20 minutes, thinking about how grateful I am for my friends when I finally saw a figure approach the door. My brain couldn't quite process what my eyes were seeing. It looked like Liam, his face was there, but it was covered in stubble. His hair was longer than I'd ever seen it and he was leaner than he was three years ago. He looked so grown up.

 He paused at the door for a minute and took a deep breath before he leaned toward the window

He paused at the door for a minute and took a deep breath before he leaned toward the window. When his eyes met mine his face lit up and a small smile spread like wildfire across his face. I couldn't stop my face from mirroring his, my cheeks almost hurt from how wide I was smiling.

My eyes welled with tears as he pulled the door open and rushed inside. I had just enough time to stand up before his arms engulfed me in a hug. "Fuck, I've missed you, Ash."