19. makin' my name

I knew that things had been too calm

I knew that things had been too calm. My "pessimistic" nature never let me enjoy the calm, always worried about the storm after.

The first weekend in May, the clouds rolled in.

The whole group hadn't been together for a little bit, Ni had been seeing Georgia practically every other day, Louis and Kenna were still fighting it seemed so Lou was with Zayn most days, and Liam was busy working at home in Brooklyn. Life was moving fine, everyone was settled and content, life was monotonous and boring for the most part.

That's how I knew.

I was laying on my couch, Evie was asleep on my chest, Ashton was painting her toenails on the floor. We were watching some movie with Patrick Swayze in it. When my phone rang it scared the cat, who jumped on Ash and almost made her spill her nail polish, which made me jump up and yell about my carpet getting ruined. Overall, it disrupted the peace.

It ruined everything.

Ashton huffed, flipped me off, and then returned to her toes. I held the phone to my ear and spoke. "Li, what's up?"

"I think we might have a problem. I've been watching news reports in our zones like always. There's some shit goin' on down in Florida but I don't think it pertains to us. Upstate, however, is a different story. There's been a lot of assaults reported and some kids getting roped into-"

"Yeah, I'm always down for a weekend bender. I'll be at your place in two hours." I knew Liam wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of me being with his sister right now, but he'd appreciate the fact that I lied and censored the conversation in front of her.

Ashton didn't even raise an eyebrow at the mention of a spontaneous weekend trip, didn't peak her suspicions at all. She didn't even move from the floor when I got up and started packing a duffel bag. She just finished her toes and sat there with her knees up, watching the movie. She hadn't bothered putting pants on so she was in a small white thong and the sweatshirt she wore over the night before.

 She hadn't bothered putting pants on so she was in a small white thong and the sweatshirt she wore over the night before

She looked good here, and it bothered me. She was comfortable here, and I liked that, and it bothered me. Evie purred and wound around her legs, while Ashton mindlessly petted the grouchy old cat. I felt myself smile from the doorway of my bedroom as I watched, and that bothered me too.