Chapter 40

Family Matters

I walked down the halls of SAM after being passed by Jordan and Scott with a patient. I threw the file in my hand into one of the trays behind the nurse's station before scanning my eyes over the board to see if I had any surgeries scheduled for tonight.

"Kate." I turned around at the sound of Drew's voice and found him walking in the door with Kenny on a gurney in front of him.

"Kenny, you're gonna be okay." I spoke before looking to my brother for an explanation as to what happened.

"He's got a C-spine hyperextension injury. It's T-10 level." Drew explained.

"Let's get him to trauma 2." I told the nurse and paramedic pushing the gurney.

"Yo. It was an accident." The guy on the second gurney that came in with Kenny called after him as he was rolled away.

"This is Locke. Blunt head trauma. Brief LOC. Vitals are stable." Drew said as he walked back towards us after Kenny disappeared from sight.

"Hot doc. Me likey." The guy on the gurney said as I scanned over the information from the paramedic.

"Hey. Watch your mouth Locke." Mac warned him.

"How'd this happen?" I wondered as I handed the clipboard back over.

"Ask Drew." Mac replied looking past me to my brother.

"He's fine. All right? Medics did by the book with the C-collar. I'm gonna see Kenny." Drew spoke before he turned around and headed in the same direction Kenny had moments earlier.

"Okay let's get him to exam one." I told the nurse standing waiting for instructions before they wheeled Locke away. "What the hell happened?"

"Locke's the vet I told you and TC needed help. All right, he made a mistake with Kenny. He held on too long. You know, stuff happens. It's not chess. Then Drew goes all Jon Jones on him." Mac explained as we started to walk down the hallway.

"I'm assuming that's a bad thing?" I replied.

"Yeh. Total over reaction." Mac nodded his head.

"You alright?" I wondered looking up at Mac.

"Yeh." He promised.

"Alright. I'm gonna go help Kenny." I told him before jogging away down the hall to trauma 2.

"Scott, is it my C2? You can tell me man." Kenny spoke to Scott as he was being checked out when I entered the room.

"When we know, you know." I promised Kenny before removing the neck brace from around his neck.

"Start with some x-rays and get some steroids on board." Scott said as he moved down to Kenny's feet to check his reactions. "Alright Kenny. I want you to let me know when you feel any of this."

Scott finished the exam and found out Kenny's injury was now up to his T4 after he couldn't feel anything until Scott started to poke at his chest. Kenny disagreed after Scott wanted to insert a catheter so Scott and Molly left to look for someone that Scott said could help.

"Honey I know you're scared, but we're gonna give you everything we have. You know that." I assured Kenny knowing how scared he must be.

"Okay." Kenny nodded his head slightly before I left him and Drew alone.

—————————————

"Hey. Clear, clear." Drew's voice spoke as he got off the lift with Kenny as I jogged down the hallway to meet them.