Chapter 6

Coming Home
Today was the day that Rick was coming home. I know this because about 20 times on our way to work Drew warned me about not being late after our shift was over and that he was gonna get Krista to do our charts if we both did a weekend shift each for her. I didn't mind, I knew that Drew was dying to see Rick.

Everyone was doing their own thing when Scott walked in looking to make an announcement.

"I wanna thank you guys for coming in a little bit early tonight." Scott started.

"I have 4 cranky women in my house. I'll come in whenever you want." Topher spoke.

"I have 5 sisters, I get it." Scott replied laughing.

"Anyway, I wanna talk to you guys about some ways that I think we can have better cooperation between the ER and the Surgical Departments." He explained and then Ragosa said something about how with myself, Jordan and Scott running it nothing could go wrong. Then Molly spoke.

"Excuse me, doctor. That was dispatch. Bus accident on highway 190. The passengers are soldiers." Molly explained. Rick. "Multiple victims, total count unknown. They're going to ever hospital in the area. Ours will be here in 20." Krista, Drew and I all looked at each other. All we can do know is hope we get Rick and that he's relatively unharmed. I started shouting orders out to the staff currently in the ER.

"I'm going to call Jordan to get her ass here." Ragosa spoke." Molly call TC please." The staff departed in different directions getting equipment set up.

20 minutes later sirens were heard outside and all available doctors ran out. I had a pen on top of my ear and wrote down the patients vitals as the ambulance crew called them out.

Suddenly TC and Jordan pulled up.

"It's about time. Let's go." I shouted. I watched Drew move frantically from bed to bed. Scott asked for assistance from him but he just ignored him.

"Tee, Kate I need you guys now." Drew shouted out suddenly. He must have found Rick.

"Krista you got this." I asked and she nodded so I left and quickly found Drew.

"What's up." TC asked arriving.

"Hey, this is Rick." Drew told us quietly.

"As in 'Rick'" Tee asked.

"Yeah" Dew replied.

"Ok let's go, let's go" I shouted as we wheeled him inside.

"Move move." TC shouted.

"Topher you take over TC'a crushed leg. Stabilize him. Kate Trauma 2." Scott shouted.

"He's mine, Drew's with me and Kate's with us for as long as we need her too." Tee replied.

"Are you really questioning me right now." Scott asked.

"Do you wanna question me." I asked Scott as TC and Drew took Rick away. "May I remind you, that you are still under observation. So get your ass to the OR and if you need me I'll join you."

"Fine but bring him up to pre-op in an hour. You will amputate." Scott told me

"Type and cross for 6 units of PRBCs and give me 4 units FFP." TC called out looking at the leg as I joined them in the room.

"No palpable distal pulses. Ruptured his popliteal artery." I spoke observing the gash.

"We need to stop the bleeding. Hand me a large hemostat."

"You can't amputate Kate. Tee you gotta save his leg, please ?" Drew pleaded. "Kenny, page the vascular surgeon on call. Get him here now."

"Dr Murphy's with another soldier at University. Can't get here-" Kenny said before he was interrupted