Chapter 12

Shock to the Heart

6:59 pm

''Ta-da'' I spoke as TC and I made our way through the ER. I had just pulled out a key out of my scrub pocket.

''Ah the key to your heart.'' He replied with his arm draping over my shoulder.

''No, the key to my house. Well Drew's house.'' I said stepping behind the nurse's station.

''Ah, big spender, how much it cost you, $1 maybe.'' He answered.

''A $1.50 plus tax actually. But hey you're worth it''

''Now I won't have to use the key under the flower pot.'' Tee spoke taking the key from me.

''That is the key from under the flower pot. But it's yours now'' I said quickly before pecking his lips and leaving.

"Kate, I've a patient upstairs who wants to see you. She was admitted earlier." Molly spoke as she hung up the phone.

"Upstairs. As in the main hospital." I asked.

"Yeh. One of the nurses phoned down. Just check it out yeh."

"Yeah sure." I walked to the elevator and headed upstairs. When it dinged I stepped out and walked to the nurse's station.

"My names Dr. Kate Allister. A patient wants to see me." I spoke.

"Of course. Right this way Doctor." The nurse stepped out from behind the desk and walked down the hallway. "In here."

I opened the door and thanked the nurse. I was quite shocked to see my old medical school professor lying up in the bed.

"Ms. Johnson. What are you doing here." I asked.

"Kate Allister. My best student. I always knew you'd be great." She spoke.

"Thank you." I smiled. "So what happened."

"Simple Kate. I'd a heart attack." She replied.

"Oh my god. Are you ok. Wait what am I talking about of course you're not."

"I'm fine Kate. Just what happens to people my age." She reassured. I've got a feeling there is more to this than just old age.

"I'm sorry Dr. Allister but we've to take Ms. Johnson for a few tests." A nurse said as she entered.

"Ok. I'll go but I'll be back to see you before you leave Ms. Johnson." I spoke standing up.

"Bye Kate." As I left I noticed a butterfly-shaped rash on her face across her nose and that as she spoke she seemed to have shortness of breath. I have to find out what's wrong with her.

——————————

''Dr. Kate Allister to Trauma 1, Dr. Kate Allister to Trauma 1'' The speaker called as I stepped off the elevator

As I stepped into the room, I could see Drew shocking a man on the bed surrounded by Rigosa and Topher. 

''Welcome back sir.'' Topher spoke. 

''Okay let's get him up for tests and find out what's wrong with him.'' I spoke as the nurses started to get the bed ready. We left the room and headed down the hall.

''Let's get a CT, chemistry, and a total CK to make sure he doesn't go into rhabdo and have Ragosa tell the family, we're taking him for tests.'' Topher told Drew.

''On it.'' He replied. The assistants continued to take him down the hall as Toph, Drew and I walked away.

''So you remember Ms. Johnson, my old med school professor. '' I asked Drew as we went to find Rigosa.