Chapter 16

6:54 pm

Best Laid Plans

The shift was starting in a couple of minutes but we were all gathered in the break room watching Kenny hiding behind a chair because of Paul and TC, who took Kenny's shorts.

''Ladies, ladies, ladies. Kenny says we got to pay to display, - so this one's on me.'' TC spoke throwing money at Kenny as if he was a stripper.

''Give me my shorts! '' Kenny said to Paul who simply waved them just out of Kenny's reach in a teasing way. 

'' What, do you mean these?'' Paul teased waving the around.

'' Give.. give me I will kill you.'' Kenny replied trying to grab them without flashing us all. '' I really- Give me, give me my friggin' shorts!''

''Tee, strike a pose.'' Topher told him as he held up his phone to take a picture. TC did as he was told and Topher snapped a picture before walking passed me.

''If H.R. asks, I was not here.'' Topher insisted before leaving.

''Not a word.'' I assured smiling at the scene in front of me.

''Hey, guys? Shift starts in five minutes. We already have incoming. Come on. Let's go.'' Molly spoke walking into the room. I left first and everyone else followed. A man came in and Jordan took this case so it was a waiting game for the next patient.

''Attention, everybody! I just got off the phone with dispatch. We have a building collapse downtown. We are gonna be the major receiving.'' Topher announced hanging up the phone.

''Estimated number of casualties?'' I asked. 

'' Up to 50. They're requesting that E.R. personnel get triage up and running on-site.'' Topher replied.

''I'm on it. Drew, you're with me.'' Tee spoke grabbing triage equipment.

''Anyone wants a ride, train leaves now.'' Gwen said leaving and the 2 boys followed.

I headed upstairs with Paul to meet Scott so we could set up ORs. 

''Hey it's gonna be pretty crazy downstairs, why don't you focus on that and if I need you I'll page.'' Scott insisted as we set up the ORs.

''Yeh good idea. I'll finish off here and head down.'' I replied finishing off and heading back. By the time I was back downstairs the place was crazy. I'd been down for about 20 minutes and have already seen 10 patients. 

''Dr. Kate Allister.'' I heard a voice speak from behind me. I turned to see Paul's dad. Dr. Cummings. 

''Get him to OR 1 to Scott. Tell him to page if he needs me.'' I told the nurse and she brought the patient on up. ''Dr. Cummings.''

''I've heard great things about you Doctor.'' He spoke.

''Thank you sir, and I'd love to get talking to you properly but as you can see we're pretty swamped.'' I replied as another patient came. ''I'm sorry I've to go.''

''Of course. I hope we can work together tonight.'' was all I heard before checking on a patient.

''Hey did you know-'' I said to Topher looking at Dr. Cummings treating a patient.

''That world-renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Julian Cummings working triage in my E.R. ?" your eyes do not deceive you.'' Topher answered.

''He's here to see Paul's first surgery.'' I asked and Topher nodded. ''Talk about putting pressure on the kid.''

''On a night like this. I'll take all the help we can get.'' He said and I agreed. 

I continued triaging patients that were lining the hall. I noticed a patient that was meant to be next for surgery still there but another bed gone. What was Scott thinking queue jumping?