Chapter 31

All In

12:11 am

''How was your conference Kate?'' Kenny asked as I walked into the ER.

''Long, stressful but most of all boring. How's the shift going so far?'' I replied as I looked in my draw and the board for any surgeries.

''Well Momma Toph is here. A woman from a car accident up in the OR with Scott and Paul. Drew is taking care of the women's foster kid, Jordan has a kid with T.O.P and that's about it so far.'' Kenny explained. ''Oh and everyone keeps congratulating me on something that I don't even know about.''

''Well anything I can do.''

''Unless you wanna check on the women but besides that nope.'' Kenny told me.

''Right well I'll change into my scrubs and head up.'' I headed for the changing room.I changed quickly before heading for the OR.

I pressed the intercom button and spoke to the 2 boys. ''Hey how's it going?'' Scott simply shook his head back at me.

''Anything I could've done?'' I asked.

''No Kate. She wasn't great when she arrived. I called time of dead 2 minutes ago.'' I nodded before heading back downstairs.

''Hey Kate. How is she?'' Kenny asked as I arrived back downstairs. I shook my head in response.

''Listen Kenny. I've a conference call with the National Surgeon's Bored. I'll be in my office for a while. Shout if anyone needs anything.''

''Oh NSB, fancy.'' He replied smiling.

''Shh. Don't tell anyone. I told you that in confidence."

''Lips sealed.'' Kenny spoke making the motion over his lips.

I shut my office door and sat down at my desk before turning on my computer. The clock read 12:27 meaning I had 3 minutes until my computer will ring and I was terrified. I haven't told anyone yet but the National Surgeon's Bored wants me to run my own surgical ward at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, which is the best hospital in all of America. It's located in West Philidelphia.

It's a life-changing opportunity but it would mean leaving San Antonio, all my friends, Drew and TC. I was pulled out of my thoughts by my computer ringing.

I took 3 deep breaths before pressing the answer button.

"Dr Ramos. Dr Benson. Dr Green. It's nice to see you all again." I spoke to the screen as the 3 faces appeared.

''Dr Allister. It's good to see you too.'' Dr Ramos said. The other 2 doctors nodded and agreed. 

''So have you had time to think over our proposal.'' Dr Green asked looking hopeful.

''Actually I have, and I regret to inform you that I will have to reject. I'm quite happy right where I am. But thank you for your offer.'' I explained.

''Well this has come as quite a shock to us all.'' Dr Benson spoke up before the other 2 had a chance.

''Dr Allister, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You are the only person we have considered for this. I'll give you till the end of the week to come to your senses. We will speak then.'' With that the call ended and I could breathe again. I don't know if they thought they were gonna get a different answer or what but they're not. 

As if just in time my pager went off. It was Jordan and she wanted me in the OR. I pushed my chair out and left my office before heading for the lift. Once I reached the OR I headed into the washroom and began washing up before Jordan came in followed by Scott. 

''Kate swap with me.'' He spoke.

''What?'' I asked.

''Listen I'll take this if you help Drew and Shannon. The board is still keeping me under observation if I did what they wanted me too I'd be fired but they wouldn't do it to you. Please.'' Scott begged.

''Okay. I'll do it.'' 

''Thank you. OR 2.'' He told me and I nodded before leaving the room and heading in the direction of my brother. 

''I'll do it.'' Paul spoke to Shannon.

''Paul no. I'm not putting you in this position. I'm head of Trauma Surgery. I'll do it.''

''Kate, please let me do this. It's important to me.'' He begged.

''Okay. I'll be here the whole time.'' We both nodded as Shannon and Brianna's social worker left to get her and Drew. While they were gone Paul and I set everything up. I connected the monitor to my finger so it showed that there was a heartbeat. Paul stood up next to the table and started compressions. 

''I hope this works.'' He spoke up.

''I know. Me too.'' I replied just before the walked in. The young girl took my brother's hand before walking up to her foster mom.

''Avery, I love you. And I'll never forget you. I don't want to say goodbye please don't make me.'' She said the last part before running out. Drew left to find Brianna while Shannon and the social worker left too. 

I let out a sigh. ''Let's wrap this up.'' I told everyone. ''You did great Paul, thank you.'' 

He smiled at me before leaving. 

The shift was quickly over considering I started halfway through with the conference in Houston and then the call that lasted 2 minutes as the bored were not happy with my answer at all but anyway that's Sunday's problem. 

''So how'd the call with NSB go?'' Kenny asked.

''Ssshhh you.'' I spoke quickly before anyone else heard.

''NSB? What were you doing talking to the National Surgeon's Bored.'' Tee asked as he held his jacket and bag in his hand for going home.

''Nothing. It was nothing.'' I assured my fiancee.

''Kateeee'' He spoke.

''We'll talk about it later. Bye Kenny.'' I said giving Kenny a death stare before leaving. I don't know why I'm so nervous to tell TC about this because it's not like I'm taking the job anyway. It's just the fact I know he'll beg me to take it even though he doesn't want me to leave. 

Ughh! I'm gonna kill Kenny.

This chapter is so bad and I'm so sorry for that and also for not updating in so so long. I'm trying to get back into writing. Starting with updating a new chapter from each of my books. 

I love you all :)

-ky x