For What's to Come

"Congratulations, Team LJNT. You have successfully defended the village, just as I knew you would!"

Professor Ozpin didn't waste any time congratulating the team once they made it back to Beacon Academy. Lyra was in good spirits after obliterating through the amounts of Grimm she had.

"That's right. Everyone did really well!" Lyra smiled cheerfully. "Thanks for the opportunity to kill more of those creatures. Before the year even really started to pick up, too!"

"Yes, well, I needed people to fill the job, and I thought you four would be the perfect fit," Professor Ozpin said with a casual smirk on his face. "I'm glad to see I was proven correct."

"Well, us too...but I must ask now that we are not in immediate danger," Janelle fidgeted with the end of her dress. "Why us?"

"Hm?" Ozpin sipped from his coffee mug, his bespectacled eyes full of some sort of amusement. "Let's just call it...a good feeling of sorts. You all must be trained for what I know is to come..."

"Ooh, what's that!?" Tanya exclaimed, mostly back to her normal, cheery self. "Come on, come on, tell us!"

"We'll just have to wait and see," Ozpin replied. "You all are free to go."

"W-Wait, w-we wanna k-know what's g-going on too," Nico folded her arms in front of her. "W-Why can't y-you tell us?"

"In due time, everything will be explained," was all Ozpin said. "I promise."

Unable to draw out any further knowledge from their Headmaster, Team LJNT could only shrug before they walked out of the room. As they walked through the paths of Beacon. Groups were scattered everywhere, talking and laughing amongst themselves as Team LJNT strolled around the filled academy.

"So, I've been thinking," Tanya started, and Lyra couldn't resist the urge to butt in.

"Well, that's a first."

"Hey!" Tanya huffed. "I've been thinking that we should all totally train extra in preparation for the Vytal Festival! We've got to win, for sure!"

"I-Is that even really i-important?" Nico couldn't help but bring a hand to her ears. "I-I'm s-sure I-Ironwood would d-do everything he c-could to s-stop me from participating...a-after all, a G-Grimm could cause panic."

"Well, nobody is going to stop you from joining us," Lyra said confidently. "They'll have to go through me first!"

"Not just you, all of us," Janelle smoothed down her dress before she placed her hands on her hips. "Now, Tanya does indeed have a point. We should all train to win the festival!"

"What, are we not strong enough already?" Lyra sighed. "But yeah, our victory has to be absolute! Let's get training!"

"A-Alright, c-cool," Nico agreed as the team began to head toward their weapon lockers. She was abruptly pulled back by her hood, making her stumble backward; Lyra had pulled her back. "W-What?"

"...So, um..." Lyra hesitated as her golden eyes shifted from side to side. Nico could tell that she was nervous. But for what?

"Y-Yeah?"

"...Well," Lyra paused once more before she finally continued her sentence. Nico's heart beat a little faster; was Lyra finally about to open up? "...Nico...so, uh, you and Tanya?"

"...What?" That was the only word Nico could muster as she had once again been completely knocked off guard. "M-Me and Tanya? W-What about us?"

"Well, I mean, um," Lyra scratched the back of her neck awkwardly, a bright blush across her cheeks for a reason Nico didn't quite understand. "You, uh..grabbed her hand."

"...And...?"

"And-? I guess I'm asking...do you not like me like that? I mean, it's-it's totally fine, it's just-uh-do you want me to stop doing stuff like that-or-"

"S-Stuff like what-?"

"...Stuff like...this," Lyra suddenly grabbed Nico by the hand, twirling her around. Nico felt the cold wall pressed against her back as Lyra pushed her against the wall. Nico's breath caught in her throat as she felt her own cheeks heat up, her body involuntarily cowering under Lyra's close proximity.

"L-L-Lyra-"

"...Sorry, Nico," Lyra immediately pulled away, though her hand did linger upon Nico's cheek for a moment. Nico physically lost the ability to speak as she just gawked at Lyra. Nico could just barely make out Lyra's next words. "I guess I answered my own question, didn't I?"

Nico honestly had no idea what she wanted, but her lips were moving before she could even stop them.

"N-No, y-you're wrong."

Lyra's eyes widened at this, and slowly, pink flecks began to grow on her golden irises. Nico's heart beat faster and faster-

"Hey, come on, we gotta go train!" Tanya's loud voice exclaimed as she approached the two. Lyra quickly drew away from Nico, their faces both bright red. Tanya didn't even notice. "Come on, you two! Let's go!"

"Yeah, totally," Lyra cleared her throat and followed Tanya first, leaving Nico standing there, wide-eyed and confused.

What the actual hell just happened to her?