The Ol' Switcheroo

"Hello, Team LJNT. Practicing diligently, I see."

Professor Ozpin approached the training grounds, where Team LJNT was sharpening up on their individual skills. Lyra just smiled and nodded.

"You bet!" Lyra narrowed her eyes in concentration as she pulled her axe backwards before hauling it forward. She flung it at the target, hitting it dead center...and splitting the target into two. Lyra just sheepishly grinned as Ozpin gave her a look. "Uh...Whoops."

"You are notorious for breaking our equipment," Ozpin sighed at Lyra's antics. "I've ignored it for now, but one more thing, and I'll have to start charging."

"Aw, come on! Isn't it just showing how strong I am?" Lyra laughed before sobering upon seeing Ozpin's stern glance. "Alright, fine. Sorry."

"What brings you around here, Headmaster?" Janelle questioned. Ozpin just smiled.

"Just checking in on all of you," Ozpin said. Suddenly, a twinkle appeared in his eyes that could only mean trouble for Team LJNT. "Hm...I have a challenge for you all. It is easy for me to see what all of you can do, but I'm not sure that all of you are aware of what your teammates are capable of. So, I want you all to switch weapons."

"...What?"

"You will familiarize yourself with what your teammates can do, and in turn, know their strengths and weaknesses," Ozpin took a sip from his coffee before turning. "Have fun!"

As the headmaster left, the others just stared at each other. The barren trees blocked some of the cold air whipping around them. A thin layer of snow lay on the ground, covering the dead grass like a blanket. The four just stood in silence, processing Ozpin's words as the crisp wind whistled around them.

"...I call dibs on Janelle's bow!" Tanya broke the silence. After a moment, Janelle just nodded and handed Aegis, her prized bow, over to Tanya. "Who wants my staff!?"

"Eh, why not?" Lyra motioned for Tanya to pass the bo staff, Baldr. "Whoa, this is so light."

"I would like to try out Nico's weapons," Janelle requested, and Nico handed over her sword, Fenrir. Lyra suddenly began to laugh.

"Here you go, Nico!" Lyra ran over to the target, grabbing her axe before tossing it toward Nico. It dug into the ground near Nico's feet, scattering snow around. The smaller girl just stared at it before shrugging and attempting to pick it up.

Midas didn't move anywhere.

"H-How d-do you e-even?" Nico just struggled with all of her might to try and lift the heavy axe out of the dirt. Lyra just laughed once more as the golden axe Midas made no movement whatsoever.

"Come on, Nico! I carried that thing for like, four miles as a kid!" Lyra boasted, a wide smile on her face as the other teammates just gaped at her.

"...Are you even human?" Janelle asked in disbelief, making Lyra chuckle once more. Her breath was visible as she laughed. Turning to Fenrir, Nico's weapon, Janelle swung the sword once. "This feels so wrong."

Janelle's finger slipped on a button that split the sword into two katanas. Janelle just examined the blades in slight confusion, pressing the buttons once more. The blades transformed into dual shotguns, and Janelle widened her eyes.

"Um...I do not know how to wield such a barbaric weapon," Janelle held the shotgun away from her face, confused. Tanya facepalmed as Nico tried to explain.

"Y-You j-just pull t-the trigger..."

"But I just aim it and then fire?" Janelle furrowed her brow. "That is too simple, that cannot be correct."

"Well...it really is that simple," Lyra shrugged, attempting to twirl Tanya's staff in her hands. It flew out of her hands, landing on the ground. "This is so light, how do you even use this? It just falls out of my hands."

"It's light and easy!" Tanya chirped enthusiastically. "I can be quick and agile without a heavy weapon. Simple!"

"How do you even twirl this thing so fast?" Lyra attempted to do it like Tanya did, struggling miserably. "It's nothing like twirling an axe."

"Grandpa Alm taught me well!" Tanya aimed the bow with immense concentration as she mocked an arrow. "Okay, Tanya, you can do this. Just like Grandpapa said..."

The arrow went flying in no particular direction, and Tanya sighed.

"Yeah, I guess there's a reason I chose a gun and not a bow," Tanya shrugged before grabbing another arrow. It went flying, this time exploding as it hit the ground. "Oh...I didn't realize I had fire dust..."

"The arrows have color markings..." Janelle sighed, pressing the button on the shotgun. Immediately, the noise made Janelle panic slightly. "Ah! Did I do that?"

"Y-Yeah."

"This...is so simple," Janelle glanced at the shotgun curiously. "What is the point of this gun?"

"I-It does a lot of damage up close," Nico replied. She was grateful she had grabbed Fenrir at the armory and not just any old sword. "I-It doesn't need to be so precise, too.."

Nico somehow managed to flip Lyra's axe into it's sniper rifle form. While it was still heavy, she managed to hold it up clumsily. She tried to aim the rifle, a confused look on her face.

"T-This is s-such a w-waste of time," Nico frowned as she tried to scope in. She couldn't even hold it steady. "I could just shoot with my shotguns..."

"This goes way farther, though!" Lyra responded, trying to work with Tanya's assault rifle. "Hm...What if I just-"

Three ice dusted rockets shot out, freezing the ground in front of her. Lyra just looked at Baldr, confused.

"Huh. Dust is so weird..."

"It's so helpful!" Tanya grinned, splitting Aegis into two swords. "Hm...This feels alright!"

Tanya tried to slash with both of them, accidentally dropping one of the swords. She picked it up sheepishly.

"I think it's safe to say we should all stick to our regular weapons," Tanya said, making the other three laugh.

"Definitely," Lyra agreed. "But this has made me think of a couple of combos we could try out..."

"Y-Y-You w-won't m-make m-me grab your a-axe, will you?" Nico asked. Lyra just laughed.

"No. Don't worry," Lyra shook her head. "This is my axe, and only mine to wield now."

Lyra was rather touchy over her axe. While it flew over Tanya's head, Nico and Janelle both noted how Lyra sounded. Before either of them could voice their concerns, Tanya jumped up and down excitedly.

"Can I try lifting it?" Tanya questioned, a look of excitement on her face. Lyra smiled, a smirk on her face.

"Sure. Let's see you try!"