Chapter 70

One hour before the gala

October watched the stylist through the mirror work magic on her hair. At this point, she was concerned that she would sleep off during the gala. She had really had a long day. She had spent almost all her day learning how to waltz. It had never been her thing. Even if she wasn't still good with the steps at this point, Damien had assured her that he would lead her during the choreographed dance. Now she was at Ayomide's boutique getting ready.

She was so occupied with her thoughts that she didn't hear the stylist say something to her and leave the room, or even when someone entered.

She suddenly snapped out of her thoughts when the woman pulled her hair hard and didn't let go.

"What are you..." October was saying when she looked into the mirror again. Her eyes darkened. "You." October quickly grabbed her wrist and pushed it away. She stood up and turned to face Jessica.

"Are you out of your mind?" October asked her.

"What? You want more?" Jessica asked her. "I thought I made it clear already that Damien's mine."

It didn't take October any time to realize what she was talking about. She grinned.
"And yet he is the one who asked me to be his date for the gala. What does that make you? A desperate girl suffering from unrequited love? Aren't you tired of being a loser?"

Jessica became furious immediately. It was like October was expecting it because the moment Jessica rose her hand to slap her, she hit it away.

Jessica was shocked for a moment but in the next, she covered it up with an obviously fake smile.
"You think you're a smart mouth, don't you?"

"You think you're tough?" October asked back. "I learnt the hard way while you were living life like a princess these past few years. The next time you try to hit me - and even if I stop you - I will retaliate." October eyed her. "Now I think you stumbled into the wrong room. You won't find any clothes here."

Jessica chuckled.
"I pity you October." She started and October rolled her eyes. "You're here getting all dolled up for someone who's using you. Damien doesn't even care about you."

That got October's attention but she pretended to be unfazed.

"You think this wasn't all planned? From his coming back to Nigeria? Think about it. He was comfortable with me in another country and then suddenly he comes back after five whole years when he hears you were working in his hotel." She paused for it to sink in. "He never really cared about what went on in his businesses in Nigeria. He came back for his revenge on you and he's waiting for the right moment to humiliate you like you did to him years ago. Did you honestly believe that he would return after everything and be crazy about you? I'm sure he must have already gotten you to kiss him." She snorted. "You were right the other time - I ordered men to kidnap and take advantage of you in the Philippines. But guess who else knew about it?" Jessica smirked. She knew she didn't have to say a name directly for October to figure it out.

"You're lying." Even October knew that Jessica was aware that her words were threatening to get to her.

"You want me to prove it to you? Watch who he takes to the gala today. After he's done having his fun with you, he'll discard you like nothing and come back to me. After everything, he knows he's getting married to me. Let's see if he takes you tonight." Jessica sounded so sure.

October was quiet. She took a step towards Jessica and looked directly into her eyes.
"Well, I'm the one getting prepared to go as his date in less than an hour, aren't I?"
She smiled and gestured to the door. "Leave. Now."

Jessica clicked her tongue.
"I admire your optimism." She slowly took a step backwards before she turned fully and headed out of the room.

October bit her lip.
Why did some things she had said make sense? It was true that Damien had been acting all friendly with her since he got back. Why did she find it hard to believe that Damien was okay with what she had done to him?

October shook her head. She was letting Jessica get into her head. She was just bluffing.

**************

Present time

Damien ran down the stairs as quick as he could. Despite the fact that Jessica could be bad at times, he still cared. Before all this, Jessica was his best friend. She left the country with him when he decided to leave. He couldn't just neglect her.

He reached the base of the stairs and stopped. He was missing something. Then it occurred to him, October was waiting for him.

He called one of the guards around.
"Go start a car." The guard nodded and ran out.

What was he going to do?

Damien pulled out his phone and took a deep breath. He was going to send her a text. He wouldn't be able to make it.