Chapter 68

"Sir." One of the security men called as he briskly walked into Damien's office.

Damien turned away from the open window to face him, his hands tucked in the pocket of his jeans.

"She just stepped into the building." The man informed him.

The corner of Damien's lips turned upwards. He nodded in acknowledgment.
"Tell Mary to let the press in now. I'm ready to see them."

Damien turned back to the window as the man left. So October refused his offer the day before?

He chuckled when he thought about what he was about to do.

* * * * * * * * * *

October was glad she had convinced her guards to wait outside while she went into the hotel to clear her desk. Her father's rule was that she should make sure she carried her guards wherever she went– but her rule was that they were never to walk into some certain places with her.

This was it. She was no longer going to work for Damien.

Speaking of Damien, she had not heard from him since the previous day since she told him no. At least, today was his so called gala day and asking her again at this time would be useless.

She inserted her key into its hole and then turned it twice before turning the doorknob. She opened the door to her office and walked in– the same office she had worked in for barely three months. She took in a deep breath before she shut the door. Was she going to even miss this place?

In a span of days, her life had taken a turn for the better. Or was it for worse?
She hadn't figured that one out yet.

She took two steps further and then halted. That was weird; there was nothing on her desk. She was sure that the last time she was here, the desk was a mess. Apart from her,  only Chinwe who worked with maintenance had her office key. Did Chizoba pack them into the drawers?

She walked to the desk and opened the drawers beneath it. There was nothing in there too except a designer bag– a bag she never had.

She took out her phone and dialled Chizoba's number.

"Hello?" Chizoba said the moment she picked up.

"Hey. Did- "

"Oh, good morning." Chizoba sounded alarmed, like she hadn't checked the caller before she picked.

"Good morning. Did you by any chance clear out my things from my office?"

"Your things?" There was a pause. "Oh, sorry. About that, the boss had instructed that I clear out your office."

"Which of the bosses?" October was taken aback.

"The CEO."

Of course it had to be Damien. Kennedy couldn't do it.

"So where are my things?" October enquired.

"That's the thing– I don't know." Chizoba continued.

"What?"

"He left a message though." Chizoba quickly added." He said that if you were to come today, I should tell you that there's something he left for you in place of all your things."

October suddenly turned back to the drawer. So the 'something' was the bag. She became so furious. She was not in the mood to play games.

"Is he around?" She asked Chizoba through gritted teeth. Chizoba sensed she was angry so she hesitated before she gave her the answer.