Chapter 55

For a moment, the both of them just stared at each other, making it uncomfortable for October. At least the bathroom was big enough so it wasn't like the space made them cramped up. She cleared her throat and tore her gaze away from his.

"Umm, you have a meeting soon." She rubbed her arms. "So I think it's best for you to be sober for it."

"Huh?" He snapped out of his trance. "Oh, yeah." He rubbed his forehead.
They were quiet again. She bit her lip and looked around.

"Should I- "

"Totally." He interrupted her. "I need you to get me something to help."

She rose an eyebrow.
"I was going to ask if I should leave." She said slowly. "But it's okay." She added when she noticed a change in his expression. "I'll ask Chizoba to bring you pepper soup or garri without sugar, or even just pepper."

He looked surprised. How did she know?
"So you drink?"

"Definitely not. Uyi did. Once." She smiled as if she was remembering the particular scene. "He's the reason I know this."

Damien scoffed and stood straight so he was not relaxing on the sink anymore. It was like a switch had just flipped in his head.
"Of course."

October was taken aback.
"What?" She asked him as he walked towards the door. He opened it and walked out. She followed after him.

"What?" He asked back.

"What's with the attitude? Do you have a problem with Uyi?" She stood in the doorway of the bathroom. He was forced to stop walking. He turned back to her.

"No." He shrugged.

October rolled her eyes.
"Then what was that in there?"

"I don't know, I'm just tired of hearing about him maybe." His gaze was stern. "It's not something you should be concerned about."

"O-Kay. I think you need to chill and get sober quickly, because with this attitude, I like you less than I did ten minutes ago when we talked." She put her hands on her waist.

"And you like him by the second." Damien remarked but regretted it as soon as he did. The room was quiet for some seconds.

October scoffed. "This- -" She spread her arms to try to demonstrate but put them back down. "This attitude of yours is overbearing."

"Yeah, the feeling's mutual." He said sarcastically and turned.

"You know, one moment we seem okay, and the next you're being so annoying." She rose her voice. He turned back to her.

"I'm being annoying?" He laughed. "No, you're being annoying." He said as he walked towards her. "You think everyone cares to know about the people you like?" He stopped directly in front of her.

"Excuse me?" October took a deep breath and nodded. "In fact, I'll just blame this on the alcohol in your system. I just got my job back and I'm in a good mood, we're not having a conversation like this."

"No, let's have this conversation. You pushed me to speak when I didn't want to." Damien was so angry that he didn't even want to think about the words before they came out. "Do not mention his name in front of me again."

"Why? Are you jealous or something?" She laughed sarcastically now, looking down as she drew circles on the floor with her foot.

"What if I am?" He paused. "It was him, wasn't it? The one who made you think twice about the marriage years ago."

"I thought you just gave me a speech about moving on from the past. Was all that just a lie? That's too low for you Damien." She still had her gaze on the floor as she crossed her arms.

He licked his lips.
"Well, I meant what I said, but....." he paused and shook his head. "Never mind."

"So you're angry that we're close? That's unexpected, considering the fact that you still take your ex-girlfriend everywhere." October smiled inwardly. She was about one step away from finding out why he was still moving with Jessica.

"That's none of your business."

October frowned.
"I guess it's none of your business too, about him and I. If you're back together with your girlfriend, you shouldn't be bothered about my relationship with him."

"That's different."

"It's totally the same." She shrugged, engrossed in drawing her imaginary circles. "Whether or not Uyi...."

"I know I said you shouldn't mention his name!" He rose his voice making her jump in fright. She rose her gaze to look at him. He looked away. He was sorry but he didn't want to show it. "I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to make me reveal something to you. You're trying to get on my nerves. Why?"

He took a deep breath and turned to look at her. It was like he just figured out something.
"What do you really want? Why did you come back?" He scoffed. "To torment me? I know for a fact that the October I know would rather lock herself up than come back here."

She squeezed her way past him and moved further into the room. He raked a hand through his hair.
"I think I should just go before you pour out all your anger on the wrong person." She wanted to walk away, but she felt herself being swirled and the next thing she knew was that he was standing in front of her with her arm in his grip. She tried to yank it out but obviously, he was stronger. It seemed like he was fed up with her struggling when he grabbed her other arm. She gasped as he lifted her off the ground and onto the table beside them. He put each of his hands beside her, trapping her in between.

"Now talk." He glared at her. She held her breath. The both of them didn't hear the door open until.....

"Oh my god!"

October sighed in relief. She was saved.

Damien quickly turned to the lady who had interrupted them and his eyes widened. He slowly moved back, which gave October the room to get down from the table. She turned too, and her eyes met with the lady who had the amazingly glowing skin. She was still staring at the both of them and October had to admit, she was very pretty even with the little makeup she had on. She looked pretty young too, and somewhat familiar.

"Amanda."

October turned to Damien who was still shocked as soon as she heard his voice, and then back to the lady who was obviously the 'Amanda'. That was when her eye caught her belly- her baby bump. October froze. Was this what she thought it was? She looked at Damien again.

Crap!