Chapter 80

"What the actual heck, OC?" Aaron barged into the large kitchen at the Obiakor mansion, making October almost jump and she choked on the water she had been drinking. "Would it kill you to just pick your calls?"

October slammed the cup on the sink while coughing.
"Would it kill you to open the door gently?" she croaked.

"I've been worried for hours! You haven't been answering your phone since I left you at the station."

"Ehnnn, why'd you leave?" October hissed and pouted. "It wasn't that serious abeg. The police wanted to question me about an incident from yesterday. Apparently someone reported a stolen necklace yesterday and after I answered their questions and left, I didn't want to talk to anybody. O ti pari."

Aaron rubbed his the bridge of his nose and sighed in relief, one hand on his waist.
"At least next time something happens, send a damn text."

"Oya sorry. I've heard y--"

"Wait." Aaron interrupted. "Why are you here?"

"Well, today's your parents' "homecoming" dinner for me." October made air quotes with her fingers. "So I have to be here so people think we're actually on good terms. With the crazy day I've had today already, I am so not in the mood."

"Oh. That's crazy. Almost forgot that. When does it start?"

"In about- -" she tapped her phone screen and it came on, "two hours."

A maid rushed in and grabbed an empty tray from the kitchen island. She ran back out almost immediately.

"Huh." Aaron nodded. "I guess I have to cancel plans then. Damn it. I need to my change PA. He's useless." He grabbed an apple from the basket of fruits on the counter she was now leaning on. "And never ignore my calls again." He tossed the apple in the air and caught it repeatedly as he took steps backward. "And by the way you look pretty decent today, that's new." Aaron remarked as he turned around quickly and headed out.

October looked at her ankara-styled palazzo and jacket she had on.
Not her style anyways— of course her aunt had picked it— but it was beautiful. And her golden braids had been packed in a ponytail. Ayomide knew her all too well. She had opted for light makeup as usual. Even though it was a dinner for her, she planned to be in the shadows the entire evening.

"He's lying to you, you look hideous." Lawrence walked in as Aaron was going out. He was with another guy that looked around his age.

"Oh my gosh." October groaned. "Could this day actually get any worse?" She picked up her phone and started walking out too.

"You look like 'ewww'." Lawrence smiled

October rolled her eyes.
"Thank you," she said as she passed him.

"Make sure nobody dies when they look at you," he said after her and the guy beside him chuckled. He quickly looked at him with a death stare.

"You don't get to laugh about it Jeremy." He said pointing his finger at him, leaving the guy confused for a moment.

*******************

When she had heard homecoming dinner, she was not expecting the fifty people in the dining hall she was seeing right now. What she really wondered though, if she was honest, was who the carpenter was that designed this gigantic table. It was like an extended family dinner.

They were all seated at the same long rectangular table, with different kinds of dishes arranged on it, and talking about things October obviously had no interest in. It was rowdy, but not too loud.

She inhaled deeply. This was one part she had not missed at all.

She looked around. They must have renovated part of the house because this hall was grander than she remembered. They had barely opened it for anything in the past when she was here, as it was reserved for what her mother would call "meetings with big people", and it was all gold designed. But now it had this silver and white theme which October actually liked. It felt more welcoming.