Chapter 74

The sight of Jessica clinging onto Damien upset October; it upset her too much. She was standing behind one of the slim but tall white table-like structures that decorated the whole hall. She couldn't help thinking of what Stephanie had said in the bathroom. She was having so many different thoughts. First of all, had Damien really liked her in secondary school? Nah. She doubted it.

She vividly recalled the first time she had spoken to Damien in school. That was in Junior Secondary; JSS 3 to be precise. Although Damien was Aaron's best friend, she wasn't the kind to become friends with Aaron's friends. To her, JSS 3 just shut the opportunity of her and Damien becoming friends. He was one of the school's star boys then, along with Aaron, Crown and some other guys. She was just the sister of the popular brother and daughter of the owner of the school. Uyi and Stephanie were her definition of clique, although Uyi didn't really talk to Stephanie. Stephanie had had this huge crush on Damien and pushed her to talk to him.

She remembered the cold stare and the hurtful words Damien said to her that day. It was like immediately she talked to him about Stephanie, he got so angry and he started insulting her. With her being the hotheaded brat then, she got angry too and they had an argument.
Imagine. Fighting with the messenger.

She kept her distance from him since that day. To her, he was the rudest person incapable of human emotion. So Damien liking her? She really doubted it.

Was she even supposed to be believing anything Stephanie said?

"There she is." Louis made his way towards her with two other guys beside him. They were both dressed in white suits and October had to admit, she could tell they were filthy rich even from afar. One of them was a foreign man. He didn't look Asian and he looked somewhat different from the American men she had seen. The second one on the other hand was dark skinned. October squinted. Why did it feel like she had seen him before? Somehow he reminded her of....

No.
Charles Ademola?

October cringed inwardly. Charles had been in her mother's school but he was an art student while she was science. She hoped for her sake that he had changed over the years. In highschool, she had quarrelled with him a couple of times. He was one of those people who believed they were not rude but they just 'said what came to their mind'. To October, he was plain mannerless.

"My date." Louis gestured to her as they finally reached her. If there was one thing October had noticed about Louis since they arrived at the gala, it was that he respected women. He hadn't even made any move yet to touch her without her permission.

"Gentlemen, meet October Obiakor." Louis gestured between the two men and October. "October, meet the gentlemen."

October snickered. The foreign man gave Louis a nudge with his elbow.

"By all means, please call me Jean Parkinson." He extended his hand to October for a handshake.

October accepted it and smiled
"Nice to meet you Jean."

He withdrew his hand.
"I love the way your skin glows." He grinned. He had this accent when he spoke.

"Oh, thank you." October giggled. It wasn't like she used any special skin products, but when God wanted to bless you, it would outdo the standards.

"October." Charles nodded his head in acknowledgement. He had been standing behind the two men. His height was one of his advantages. He could stand behind people and still see clearly.

"Charles." She called back in acknowledgement.

Louis looked at the both of them one after the other.