Chapter 78

"Yeah, don't worry we're on our way back mum. It's not going to be long anymore......Mmhmm.....sure." Jessica responded to her mum before she ended the call. She dropped her phone and looked at Damien who was driving. He hadn't said a word to her since.
It was just her and the low music from the car's speakers.

"Did you see Jemima and Ovie tonight? I called you over to talk to them but you didn't come. They had the biggest wedding last year and everyone was talking about it. I managed to get the number of their wedding planner for our own wedding. Jemi tried to be stingy with it but I still got it though. I don't know what's wrong with women these days." Jessica said to him and then reached into her bag to get out her makeup cleanser, pack of wipes and mirror.

Damien still didn't utter a word. His gaze remained on the road as he controlled the steering.

"I'm thinking November. I'd be free from my travels by then. We'd get married and then we'd travel together." She began to work on getting the makeup off her face.

"Thank you for being by my side at this gala babe. At least we could debunk the rumor about our engagement being broken." She continued to speak. "I'm glad the media finally have something awesome to talk about."

Damien turned the car left at the intersection and continued driving.

"The look on that girl's face when she saw me with you is something I would kill for in order to see it everyday. Literally." She giggled. She barely noticed they had reached their destination when the car came to a stop.

"Why are we stopping? You want to get something to eat?" She asked in a sing song voice. When Damien didn't answer yet again, she sighed and dropped the mirror. She looked around. The street they were in was empty but bright. No sign of restaurants. There was a tall fence with a large building behind it to their left, and another at their right.  She didn't know this place and she couldn't really see the names on the buildings because the buildings themselves were far behind the fences.

"Why are we stopping here?"

Damien took off his seatbelt and opened the door to the driver's seat. He stepped out of the car. She did the same too and shut his car door with a bang.

"You not answering me is becoming really annoying." She frowned. He moved over to her side and held out his hand to her.

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

She eyed him playfully, letting down her upcoming tantrum.
"Do you need to ask?" She was beaming already. She put her hand in his.

He gave her a small smile and then headed for the huge gate on the fence to their left.

"What's the surprise?" She asked as she walked beside him.

"You'll see." Damien answered.

"You should have told me earlier. I left my phone in the car. I would have brought it with me for videos."

"Trust me, you won't need videos for this. It's just a small thing that the people here would like to keep discrete. They don't like being on the news or Internet."

"Still...." she pouted. "Well, this one that they don't want to be known, are they filthy rich people or something like that?"

"Or something like that." Damien answered as they approached the gate. He felt around on the gate before he found what he was looking for. He pressed a button and they heard a bell ring.

"Identity." A feminine voice came from the speaker above them on the gate.

"Damien Ekwegh."