Chapter 83

October walked into the balcony where Adesewa sat at a table, reading a magazine. She was so focused on what she was doing that she wouldn't have noticed October if she didn't scrape the foot of the chair on purpose when she drew it out. She looked up at her from the top rim of her reading glasses, shook her head and looked back at her magazine, flipping to the next page.

October took that as an invitation and awkwardly sat down on the only other empty seat there. For some reason it was close to Adesewa and not opposite. She scratched her head and bit her bottom lip. She counted to four in her head before she screamed, grabbing her tummy.

Adesewa looked at her.
"What is that?"

When October continued her frantic screams, Adesewa began to panic.

"It hurts!" October screamed.

"What is going on with you?" Adesewa held her arm. "Omma!" She yelled out. "Omma!" She tried to call a maid.

"I don't know, I-" October slowly dragged her chair really close to Adesewa and then lay her head on Adesewa's tummy. "just want to be close to you." She gave a sneaky smile that Adesewa could not see because her head was turned away from her.

"I've missed you."

Next thing she knew, she received a smack on her arm.
"Haaa." October rubbed the affected area. "Na wa o. You want to wound me?"

"Don't use such things to joke around. It's not funny."

"I only did it to get your attention oh." She had really looked for a way to break the ice. It felt weird to just approach her mother and start a conversation.

She hugged Adesewa's tummy from the side. "Mummy you know I love you. Forget all those jagaban things I was doing yesterday. I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry."

Adesewa didn't respond

"Answer oh. If not none of us will leave this balcony." October adjusted her head on Adesewa's tummy to make herself more comfortable. "I'll allow you to beat me if you want. I'm giving you the chance now before I change my mind." She pouted.

"There's no need for that." Adesewa picked up her magazine she had dumped on the table during October's act.

"Sure?" October asked

"I'm not even angry with you."

October rose her head and turned to look at her.

"Although your tone was not right to use for your mother," Adesewa emphasized on her being her mother, "you had a point. And I know you must have been frustrated because of your father and I. We just dumped things on you."

"Huh?" October was surprised.

"I'm not saying we're taking any of those things back or more won't come, I'm just saying I'm aware now. And I'd try to make it better and more bearable for you." Adesewa flipped a page, her head still stuck in the magazine as she talked.

"Wow. Everyone needs a mother like you. In fact, I'm sorry again. I'm sorry times a hundred—times infinity sef."

"But you can't go away 100% free." Adesewa reached for one of October's ears and squeezed hard on it. She yelped in pain but rose her hands.

"I deserve it. I deserve it." She kept on repeating.

*************

"Take one more step forward." Aaron said as he led a blindfolded October up a flight of stairs to a gate. "If you want knack your leg." He joked.
When they got to the last stair, the gates opened automatically— like someone had been expecting them.

"Now you can take off the blindfold."

October pulled the cloth off her eyes. The first thing that hit her eyes was the light. In a few seconds though she adjusted to the light and looked around. She gasped. They were inside a large beautiful compound arrayed with short trees. The only building she could spot was a two-storey glass apartment.

"Where are we?" She asked

Aaron swiveled his keys on his fingers.

"Apartment 01, Sunnyville Estate, Apo."

"I know, but what are we doing here?"

"It's your new home. You were due for a change of environment."

"No way." October looked at the beautiful glass building in awe and looked back at him. "No way."

"Not the whole place, ole. Just the floor beneath." Aaron rolled his eyes. "I know how much you talked about this being your dream apartment since we were thirteen."

"Thank you so much. God bless you." She squealed and hugged Aaron. She let him go. "This must have cost a lot."

"See this one. You'll pay back half of it to me when you start making your own money. By the way, it's bought and not rented, so try to guess the price range."

"Ah ahn. Why are you like this?" October pouted and have him the puppy dog eyes.

"It won't even work on me, don't bother." Aaron stood with his hands on his waist.

"Okay, fine."October chuckled. "I still can't believe it." She really couldn't.
She opened her mouth to say something when his phone started to ring. He picked it out from his shorts pocket and looked at the Caller ID.

"It's the office." He sighed. "Well, we have to leave now unless you want to gawk for a while and then get an Uber later. After I meet with the owner and finalize things tomorrow, I'll get you the keys and you can move in as soon as possible. You have work to start."