Chapter 16- comfort and cuddles

KOOK POV:

I watch as Jin hyung continues to silently wilt as he helps the other hyungs clean up, none of his usual light humour as he speaks, no sly tricks as he tries to slide wet hands around my waist and under my shirt, no preening of his black wings when Tae hyung seems to perk up from whatever had been bothering him to eat with gusto, tail swishing happily as he ate.

There was just something wrong.

And that niggling, worrying thought got cemented when he listlessly sat in the corner of the sofa, body drawn in close and eyes lost and lips set into a frown. When he didn't complain as I leapt for his lap with added force and wriggled around intentionally to get comfortable, something which would've gotten me a pinch or hands coming to still me. He just sat there.

And when the night grew darker and everyone's postures became heavy with sleep, scents becoming thicker and heavier as they began to relax and eyes began to flutter, hyung still remained stiff, though his hands come immediately around me to hold me close, it was clear he was the one seeking out physical comfort with the way he looped his head over my shoulder, gently nuzzled his cheek against mine and pressed small kisses to my clothed shoulder. I lean further into him, turning to press a kiss to his cheek, to lean in to whisper against his ear.

"Hyung what's wrong?" I ask softly, aware of the naturally heightened hearing everyone had but knowing it hadn't only been me who'd picked up on his uncharacteristic silence and sombre expression.

He shifts. Wings trying to flutter behind him but only managing to rustle, guiltily I recognise with a start. But what's hyung got to be guilty about.

"I...I...tried to." He begins, voice weak and low and painfully soft and hurting.

My hands turn to wrap around his neck, to brush my nose against his, the gesture always made Jin hyung smile. And today was no different, except there was something weary and shadowed in his eyes as they met mine.

"Take your time hyung. You don't have to say it now if you don't want to." I add, realising consciously about our packmates still scattered across the living room, the low hum of chatter that came from the card game had been significantly louder earlier but had dropped at some point.

He shakes his head, throat bobbing as he swallows nervously.

"Maybe this is best said here." He murmurs. And then his hands are tightening around me, protectively drawing me back, and hiding behind me I realise, as he looks to our packmates. All of whom had been remaining engrossed in their small tasks and chatter but it's clear they'd heard, that they'd sensed the shift because they turn to face us, gentle open expressions on their faces.

Expressions that silently promise and reassure Jin hyung that he didn't need to be afraid in speaking.

But it turned out that Jin hyung didn't know what to say or how to say it because I could feel his hands tighten and relax sporadically as he tried to spur himself to speak but his lips opened and no words came out. My hand came to squeeze at his thigh, to worm itself across and hold at his waist lightly as I shifted with the need to want to hide hyung and protect him. It wasn't often that Jin hyung roused up protective instincts but right now both my rational mind and bunny instincts were restless with the need to help and soothe hyung, that something was wrong and he was trying to force himself to articulate it when he physically couldn't.

"Hyung you don't need to force yourself. Tell us when you're comfortable." Yoongi hyung speaks up, voice soft and low, eyes their usual glittering brown that spark with understanding and empathy, smiling gently at him.

The fact that Jin hyung doesn't try, that he accepts and concedes immediately has that ball of worry steadily growing larger and larger inside me.