Chapter 29- changes of the present

JIN POV:

The breathless need in (Y/N)'s voice makes my heart ache. Especially when I see the way her feet freeze, stuck where she stands, looking at Kookie with wide eyes, leaning forward unconsciously, expression imploring for the haven, the sanctuary he offered with Binnie's scent heavily layered all over his glands, seeped into skin.

I hadn't missed the way her eyes had searched, frantically, with such hope and need and want. Had seen them dim when she realised that neither of them were here. It was a tough situation just to be on the observing end, so I could imagine how hurt she was, how much she was hiding it.

Had seen that her turning back to return to the bedroom was her way of allowing herself to crumple behind closed doors.

But Kookie wasn't having that.

Intercepting her path easily as he rushed to block her way off to the room.

"Jungkook I just want to..." (Y/N) begins, voice weary and fatigued.

Monotonous almost.

But he's undeterred.

"Head in? Sleep? Get some work done? That all can wait." He chirps, eyes lit up with burning energy.

Sleep. To curl up alone? The thought made my stomach twist.

Or getting work done. To pour over the heavy files and cases she was lugging with her, to while away her night by being hunched over streams of words.

I winced when I imagined how stiff she'd be afterwards.

She blinks up at him, eyes fluttering slowly.

It doesn't go unnoticed by me that he's completely unshy, unhesitant as he says it, large eyes bright with determination.

Her lips curve but the radiance of her smile don't reach her eyes, it's empty, hollow. Stilted.

"Why's that?" she asks.

Head tilted with curiosity. Challenge perhaps too.

And then Kookie tilts his head, arches his throat to her, inviting and promising, soft glossy ears flopping on his cheek and the other dangling as he looks at her.

"Binnie really was sad that he couldn't make it. But he left after an extremely long scenting. Wanted to make sure his noona got it." Voice soft and gentle.

Offering her exactly what she'd been missing the most instinctually. Offering her the scent of her packmate.

Not mentioning just how eager he'd been to take the scenting, giggling as Binnie had wound himself around Kookie and latched on, thoroughly coating his scent on the glands that had become more prominent and puffier. He didn't mention that he'd tugged Binnie back and insisted he scent more heavily, mentioning that (Y/N) would need it. And the squirrel hybrid had latched back on, diving in to nuzzle against the glands with more aim and purpose, nuzzling and leaving his sweet hazelnutty scent to cling to him.

Not mentioning that he'd offered himself up as a way to pass on one packmate's scent to the other when he'd seen the glossy sheen in Binnie's eyes; frustrating and hurt at not being able to meet (Y/N).

And when he speaks, her posture caves.

Tilts forward towards Kookie.

Eyes wide with hope and tentativeness.

"Want a cuddle?" he offers.

And her answer is a plea. Soft and breathy.

Caving in.