Chapter 60- herd and pack

JANGMI POV:

One chance.

I'd promised Park Jimin one chance.

But standing inside the center, my head was beginning to pulse and throb with every new scent that joined the already entangled mess of pheromones that were broadcasting every emotion, every feeling under one large roof.

The overwhelming fog of scents pressing close; some soured with distress, some bright and nauseatingly thrumming with giddiness, some sad and grieving, some angry and resentful. The combination makes my head swim and my stomach churn violently, head ducking further into the scarf wound around my neck, burrowing away from the constant waves of scents, cloying and suffocating.

Maybe this hadn't been a good idea.

To agree coming to the large hybrid care center.

Maybe the scents were too much too soon, body and biology suddenly thrusted into a space drowning in pheromones where for months on end I'd been without a single scent but my own reminding me very glaringly of what I'd lost.

But this was for Amina.

For her I had to try, I had to see through with what Officer Park had called me over for.

For her I swallow down the nausea and instinctual urge to burrow away and hide under layers of unscented blankets. Waking had been a chore. Tedious torment to drag myself out of bed, to peel away the blankets; heavily disoriented, blinking in the darkness of the bedroom, skin overheated from the countless blankets piled onto the bed.

It'd been effort to step through to the center and not rush out when the first wave of scents slammed into me, lungs burning from the effort it took to hold tears that prickled at my eyes at the sense of loneliness, aching and gnawing when I saw packs; happy settled packs.

Because there was wistfulness and yearning striking my body with this painful lurch of being reminded brutally of how isolated and adrift I felt; instincts constantly thrashing and restlessly moving.

Chasing and aching for something that day by day felt like it was slipping away from unconscious memory too, every scent seeming too harsh because I'd been that long without. Feel even the sweet, lighter scents of babies and children abrasively grate against skin and scent glands.

"Jangmi-ssi... I hope you weren't waiting for long. Sorry we've had quite a few hybrids to put into the protection program at the center." A voice warm and gentle appears from my side, body startling a little before turning to face him.

Slowly taking in the tiredness combined with relief, satisfaction alongside concern, the thin pink lines curved viciously across his throat and the edge of his jaw, eyes sharp and alert.

"It's fine Officer. Are you okay?" I ask, gesturing to the scratches with a bit of hesitation, watch his eyes flash even as his lips curl, warm and disarming.

"More than fine. A small price for a bigger haul with having our holding cells full of people waiting for trials." A pleased sharp bite to his words, though the curve of his hand as he gestures to the front desk is gentle.

A fox full of contradictions.

His presence is one the staff are accustomed to, no wary glances or hesitation as they slide over a visitor's badge for me once he's logged my details in. But the sight of my name neatly printed onto the visitors form brings apprehension bubbling low in my gut.

"It's harder to be found when you don't leave traces. Something's wrong Mi and I'm going to find out what."

I watch Amina flit about her room, tugging out clothes; nosing at the fabric before scrunching her face, determined as she rummages through her wardrobe, a pile steadily growing on the floor.