Chapter 66- chasing highs

SJ POV:

I watch as Jangmi leaves and by turn how something worried and relieved simultaneously flickers in Amina's eyes. Watching her panda leave from her blanket swaddle with KitKat tucked close, ears drooping miserably when the source of honey vanishes from sight, the door closing behind her.

Hear the quiet, discontent chirp that slips past her lips and the droop of her body hunching in on itself.

"Something's wrong with Jangmi isn't it? Something you're not telling me." Voice exhausted and fretting, eyes sharp and flickering from me to Eunwoo. Binnie had stepped out a while ago to get Amina some things, to run to get things so her room here wouldn't be bereft of comfort. A squirrel on a mission, bushy-tailed and fretting, folding her into his arms for a hug and thorough scents before he'd slowly withdrawn, eyes losing some of their worry because he knew the rest of us were still here.

The mixture of fatigue, worry and pain keeps me quiet, absently brushing my hand over the blankets to smoothen it out. The weight of a night and two days without sleep presses down on me, tries to coax me to let my eyes flutter. But her question coaxes a fresh wave of anxiousness, eyes drifting to the door Jangmi had walked through mere minutes before. Had left to go get Amina clothes, to get her some things from home. And yet something in me restlessly itched and ached to go with her and had it not been for her quiet murmured plea to stay with Amina... either one of us would've gone with her.

"I know... I know for you it's not been months. That you can't consciously remember the past half of a year... but. But Jangmi she... she can't forget. She's lived every day for six months waiting for you to come back and despairing when you didn't. She can't erase that. So it's... it's going to stay for a while." Eunwoo says gently, face softening further when her ears fold further, pressed flat to her curls as she stares at him. Misery etched deep in her face.

"I don't... I don't want to be forgetting six months..." her voice tinges with alarm and distress, makes the content kit in her cradled hold yowl, pawing anxiously at her and peering up with wide eyes.

"And they'll come back... give yourself time to heal Amina... the memories will come back. And time will let both of you overcome this." I murmur quietly, hand drifting over her ears and loosely rubbing at the base of flopped blonde fur.

She sucks in a shaky breath, tries to will herself to immediately calm but her scent is strong and powerful in its intensity, stings to breathe in air clouded with the sharp tang of sea-salt; large crashing waves slamming mercilessly against the shore.

She's never been one for shielding her scent... never been for one for disguising words or opinion and it's always been something I've admired, respected her for. So to see her trying to dampen the intensity of her scent hurts because she's trying to rein it in. Trying to control it. But this time... this time this thoughtfulness is for KitKat whose fussing stills... at least that's what I'd thought until her eyes flash with panic.

And that translates into a sharp spike of her scent, pheromones pulsing off her strongly. Torrent sea waves imbuing the air with its heavy tang.

"I... I'm not... that's not how strongly I'm feeling I swear..." the raw urgency and alarm tinging her voice has me leaning close, the combined scents of peach and pine wood pulsing out strong to try soothe her... instinctively responding to the distress in Amina's.

Comprehension dawns when just as suddenly as her scent had spiked it dips. Softens. And the loud yowls drag her attention to an anxiously pawing kit trying to clamber out of the blanket.

"Your scent production must've been thrown off by the drugs. If it's causing seizures, it can just as well cause your scent glands to overproduce pheromones as well as... blank." Voice trailing off when her scent seems to do just that.