Chapter 42- cuddles and comforts

(Y/N) POV:

"Kookie? What are you doing still up?" I whisper, startled at the sight of the curled up figure leaning against my door. His ears perk slightly as he registers my voice but when he raises his face to look at me there's pain and hurt flickering in his eyes and vulnerability in the way his arms are curled around himself, sweater paws fiddling nervously as he looks at me.

"I just...I needed someone to talk to. But I can go if you're tired or..." he begins, getting hastily to his feet, stumbling slightly as he moves to step away and head back.

My hand darts out to grab at his sweater, tugging him back.

"Not tired. Come inside Kookie. You don't need to ever ask and of course I'll listen." I say as I twist the door open, drawing him in behind me and nudging him to the bed.

He sits on the edge of it, hands worrying silently and teeth dragging his bottom lip as he watches me step forward.

I hold my arms out for him and smile sadly when he immediately reaches for me, arms winding around my face as he burrows his face into my stomach, curling himself small as he hugs me, holds me to him.

My hands brush through his hair, winding through dark brown waves and reaching the base of his ears, rubbing circles, thumbing at his nape and watching as he droops, head dropping forward in contentment, shuddery exhales muffled against my top.

I hold him until his grip eventually loosens, petting his ears and trailing my fingers across his nape, until his face moves away and he blinks up at me, eyes soft and imploring.

"Thank you." he murmurs softly.

I shake my head, brushing his hair away from his face, fingers trailing across his cheek.

"Not a problem. Now why don't you scoot back and lie down. And tell me exactly what's wrong?" I say. Stepping aside to clamber onto the bed, leaning against the headboard, smiling when Kookie decides to settle his head on my lap, peering up at me.

"I got called a slutty bun in a maid costume today." he deadpans. But despite how blasé he tries to come across as the tears brimming and spilling over his waterline are an indication of just how much the slur hurts.

He sniffles as his hand comes to scrub at the tears quickly, nose twitching as he twists his head to the side to hide himself from me.

"Oh Koo..." I whisper, hand reaching out to tilt his head back towards me, leaning over to wipe the tears, fingers damp with how they don't stop as he sniffles, my heart breaking with every small sob and tremor to his frame.

"I know I'm not. I know that they're prejudiced and have filthy mindsets. That they're trying to reduce my worth....I know I'm more than just a bunny. But it hurts that that's all the world sees." He says, breath trembling, his legs draw themselves up, curling into a ball as he twists into my touch, tears trickling to seep into my jeans.

"Koo there's more to you than your hybrid side, there's more to you than your bunny side, there's a whole lot more that we see, that I see and the world hasn't been lucky enough to." I murmur, thumbing under his eyes to catch the next tears.

The sound that slips out his throat and broken and pained and his hand goes to tug at his ear, fingers curling into brown fur and tugging, harsh and hurting.

My fingers rush to free his, soothing and rubbing at the hurt, intertwining my hand with his so he can't reach back for the beautiful brown that flops in misery right now.

"Like what? They see the ears and tail. That's it. They thought I would be in heat. Needing to be mindlessly bred." He spits the words out, vile and corrosive and angry.