Chapter 25- small changes, big differences

JIN POV:

There's the sound of footsteps padding through the apartment, the open and closing of doors as I bustle through the kitchen, hunting for where I'd sorted out the snacks. The ones I knew now that (Y/N) would like, having picked up on a few of her preferences from the times she'd eaten with us, from silent observation as I watched what foods she tended to lean towards and which ones she picked at.

And as I bend down, tugging the cupboard doors open, my eyes light up with triumph, when they fall onto the stuffed cupboards, gaze trailing over the countless packets and varieties, biting my lip as my hand hovers, wondering which ones to choose.

My eyes fall onto some of Kookie's favourite snacks, reaching out for them and pulling out some packets, slowly forming a pile in my arms, wondering whether he'd finished changing and washing up. Wondering if he'd already made his way into the living room, though the footsteps hadn't sounded like his, hadn't been his bouncy, light tread.

"Hyung have you seen Jiminie?" Joon's voice is sudden, accompanied with the thump of his tail against the doorframe. I raise my head accidentally bumping it on the underside of the cupboard with a thunk at the sudden loudness, not having heard him entering and surprised by the slightly worried tone to his voice.

I wince, rubbing the top of my head as I duck out the cupboard staring up at Joon's slightly apologetic look as he approaches from the door, tail low as it wriggles, an echo of his guilt, as if expecting a scolding.

"Sorry hyung." He approaches, helping me up as he grips my hand, eyes drifting to the snacks I clutch towards my chest, lips quirking even as his other hand rubs at my head, soothing away the sting with his endearing attempts to rub the pain away.

"You have to kiss it to make it better." another voice says from the doorway, Kookie's smiling face greeting us, nose scrunching as he teasingly looks at the two of us, light treads, bouncing on the balls of his feet as he moves towards the two of us.

Joon freezes, large fingers that had been lightly rubbing at my scalp in apology, stilling as he looks wide-eyed at Kookie, tail wagging a bit quicker; the very visible tell to his obvious excitement. Both to the idea and to Kookie's sudden but delightful presence, I didn't blame him. Just seeing Kookie made my wings all a flutter, made me want to scoop him up to kiss.

And it was sweet to see this endearing interaction, like always, pink-cheeked wolf and bunny looking at each other, all shy furtive glances that lingered when the other wasn't aware, undoubtingly instincts calling for them to lean in and nuzzle, to scent and claim but they were so shy, so tentative it both tugged at my heartstrings and made my wings bristle with the urge to just give a well-timed gentle shove to one of the other.

"Kiss it better?" Joon echoes, voice slightly strangled.

Kookie, despite the pinkening of his cheeks, eagerly nods, slightly damp brown ears bouncing with the force of his movement. Enthusiastically agreeing.

"Jinnie hyung always kisses my hurts better. It works! So why don't you try it hyung?" he prompts.

Joon looks caught between the two of us, his excitement clear with how his tail is perked up and tail wags a bit quicker, instincts raring, but his pink cheeks suggesting how bashful he is about it.

So I decide to help him out. Tilting my head forward into his touch but also to bend it towards him.

"Kiss it better Joonie." I say softly, voice teasing and gentle.

Surprised when it's only a few moments before I feel the press of soft, warm lips to my head, lingering there before he retreats. And when I raise my head his eyes are alight and he darts forward to peck my forehead, lips soft and full brushing against my skin before he moves back.