Chapter 59- bandaged hearts

HOBI POV: 

I smile, catching sight of Kookie trailing after (Y/N), ears perking at her scent soft and gentle when she suddenly stills and peers back at him, warm and fond, her hair damp and tousled, his own still pearling droplets against his throat, clutching his towel tightly before holding it out. 

“Groom my ears please?” 

And though they’d just left the bathroom together, cheeks flushed and a happy contentment and trust brimming between them, a shared space and intimacy that’s blurred lines just for them, there’s this endearing bashfulness as she nods, ears standing tall as she holds her hand out. 

His sliding into hers, fingers entangling. 

“I’ll even get the special oil whilst we wait.” She promises, some of the tension that had been silently bubbling in her fretting and rushing about the center, eased out somewhat. 

Grounded by Kookie. 

Hours pass after dinner, dishes long since cleaned and leftovers boxed up. Warm milk passed around in mismatched cups in the hope that the heat of it at least brings some comfort, something to hold onto whilst we wait. And despite the night inching further into utter darkness, there’s no drowsiness on anyone’s face, everyone silently fretting and coiled up; scents betraying worry and concern and growing anxiousness when Jimin and Namjoon don’t return. 

It’d been obvious when they’d left, sweet and thorough in their scents to the entire pack, that something was weighing down on them. 

A raid. 

They’d gone to do a raid, a potentially massive breakthrough in the case, and their bodies had been strumming with tension and anticipation when they’d curled close for hugs. 

A raid. 

It should’ve been done hours ago, and their phones were on radio silence, customary during ops they’d informed, easing away potential worry and concern before they left. 

“Don’t worry if calls don’t go through, phones stay off until we’re done and cleared off. We’ll be back for dinner.” Joon had murmured as he’d ducked his head to fold close to Yoongi hyung, throat bared for the light nuzzled scent to his jaw, rumbling happily. 

Dinner had been hours ago, and the clock continues to tick away, ominously loud and grating on the senses, fingers curling against my legs to fight the itch to shatter it. 

Watch as Yoongi hyung’s fingers continue to brush across the back of Kookie’s folded ears, gently coaxing his fingers away from the tips as he tugs anxiously, legs jostling on the couch and body tucked small. 

Vulnerable

Watch his body unconsciously tilt towards the touch before he drags himself upright, teeth gnawing at his lip and all cagey and bristling with energy; bubbling higher with each passing hour, looking halfway torn between rushing out to get it out of his system or from bursting into tears, heart aching and clenching painfully at the sight. 

Watch as Tae curls closer against Jin hyung, the stark opposite of Kookie, and desperately chasing comfort and reassurance, eyes alert even as his head remained tucked on hyung’s shoulder, nosing, and burrowing closer with a pained rumble at the lack of sound, of keys jangling and the door swinging open. Jin hyung’s feathers continue to rustle and flutter even with his wing covered protectively around Tae, eyes alert and wide awake and lips pressed tightly, the scent of vanilla glaringly absent. Swallowed whole by the natural pheromones, raw and powerful that consumed the vanilla, leaving our noses void of his sweet light scent. I couldn’t smell Jin hyung. Without the vanilla he was an eerily blank slate. And one no-one could read to gauge exactly what he was feeling or thinking.