Chapter 8- learning new things

HOBI POV:

Merging three small groups, three different dynamics and bringing them together as pack, as something new and wonderful and hopeful and yet scary and daunting.

Who knew that listening to the neighbours loudly claim, within earshot, how much they despised having hybrids stay in the complex, that suffering and enduring under constantly judging and scrutinising eyes that never truly left, and feeling caged within your own home- to an extent never truly able to relax knowing the threats that waited beyond it, the constant judgement would lead to something this wonderful? A solution that rid of us of the burden so easily?

When Namjoon and Jimin had brought up that the flat next door to them was available, that we could join the two and merge it, it had been such a brilliant solution, so bright in the way it became a ray of light to pierce through the fog, the weight of being suppressed in our own homes that I hadn't been able to stop myself from leaping at him, scooping up Jimin and Namjoon into my arms to give a tight squeeze- arms falling away with bashfulness when the two had been startled by it, stiffening slightly even as they'd smiled that my hands had fallen away, shuffling back slightly to give them air to breathe even if I wanted nothing more to smother them in gratitude.

Because it would mark such a monumental change. Yoongi hyung would be able to go out and about with far more freedom, choosing to remain inside because he couldn't bear the stares directed at us or at him, because it triggered every one of his instincts to see narrowed eyes- the world filled with predators disguised as humans that leered and watched, waiting to spring. Because Tae, our beautiful cub, despite being joyful and peppy could smile without restraint, could smile without fear of his sharp incisors scaring away the neighbours- because he'd be with pack, with others just like us.

And for me. Because apart from the enormous benefit and chance it brought to allow us to bond more, give us more direct connection with each other and live together- sorting out the dynamics as we went and navigated it together, it was also in a district that had a more balanced mix of the two, a more hybrid-populated area and somehow knowing that two of my new packmates were officers, added a layer of security I didn't know I needed until my instincts were rolling around happily in it.

And the three days taken as official leave to settle in was surprisingly both too much and too little.

Because there had been this heavy tense air as we'd all turned up, though we'd greeted each other with smiles, there was something noticeably different about the way we glanced around the space, something new and anxious about the way Jimin and Namjoon had opened the door to their apartment to welcome us all inside- their eyes flickering to us to see our reactions, to gauge our responses. Almost hovering uncertainly in what would be our new home until Jin hyung had cracked the stiff silence with an awfully bad pun that had Jimin bursting into giggles, clutching at Namjoon for support, Jungkook's nose scrunching as he tried not to laugh and Tae's face splitting into a boxy grin as he nuzzled at me, looking admiringly at him.

We'd viewed both the apartments, the spare one an almost mirrored version of Namjoon and Jimin's and because we were still testing out the waters, gauging out where everyone fit, it made automatic sense for the three of us to take the second master bedroom, a large spacious room, in Jimin and Namjoon's flat and for Jin hyung and Jungkook to stay next door, until they felt settled and comfortable enough to veer over and merge our living spaces.

And since the last time we'd made the decision to now, weeks later, we'd learnt that Namjoon had had the lease ordered, seven signatures collected at some point and now the two flats were connected by a door, the wall that held the two together, now became something to allow us to drift over anytime, but also reminded the two prey hybrids that there was a safe space if they ever became overwhelmed.