Chapter -12: The bond after broken !!

Helena POV:

None of us spoke and just sat back at some corner trying to stuff some food in after such a melodramatic evening. I insisted Pearl and Bert to dance as they planned. Krystle & Mrs. Johnson were talking and greeting with the staff. That makes Drake & I to be the only ones at the table. I didn't wish to speak anything, it was too much for me at the moment and Drake didn't ask me anything.

I am thankful that he and his family have supported me so much. I didn't believe when Drake said that his family would like me, but with what I witnessed I don't know how to repay their kindness and support.

While I was immersed in thoughts, I heard my name being called , I looked around and so did Drake. Steve was approaching us and Drake instantly held my hand. I stood up to face Steve not knowing why he has come to see me after I breaking all the ties with them.

"Steve, why are you here?" Before I or Steve could say anything Drake hissed

"oww... Young man relax, I am not here to taunt or harm my sister...I just wanted to speak something to her"

"I don't think .." I cut Drake off gesturing him with my eyes to let me handle. Drake nodded and excused himself walking away to the other table from where he could keep a tab on us.

"Steve why are you here?"

"Helena" he rubbed his neck

"Your family wouldn't like to see you talking to me"

"I am sorry sister" he spoke shocking me

"Sorry ??"

"I know you are shocked, but I should have apologized long back, which I couldn't do"

"It's ..It's too ..."

"Late" he completed and I nodded

"I know, but you know what they say "better late than never". I am sorry for how Diana spoke to you. I am sorry for not standing up for you all the years. I am sorry for not supporting you as a brother rightfully should. I never despised you Helena. I didn't know how to convince mother and father to treat you well and one among the family. Father always wanted to impose his will and wishes on me and I became his toy. Then came the responsibilities and life became a mess. I know I should have done something for you, but I didn't know how to explain them. I agree being a coward, that's because I had to take over the business from father for which I worked hard. I had to get out of his clutches. No action of mine justifies why I didn't do anything for you, no explanation will make you feel better and I totally understand. But Helena, I always silently loved you as my baby sister. I used to inform Granny about the happenings in the home regarding you. That was the least I could do. Granny has left something for you before she died."

"But .."

"I know Helena, she did send you certain amount for you to use. I know you refused . I also know you later took the amount to help your friend Pearl"

"How?"

"Helena as I said I never despised you, I wanted to take care of you. But I couldn't. When father thought of not letting you go out in fear of you letting everyone know of your identity as Viceroy and their treatment towards you, I decided to stop our father saying I would keep an eye on you. My intention was not to stop you but to let you do what you want. Hence I assured him that I would take care if something goes wrong and till nothing goes wrong you can continue what you were doing. That was only way I could stop him. And I am proud I did stop him, look at you , the achievements you have attained are applause worthy. I was always proud of your achievements but never could congratulate you. I knew you were working in night college and I would wait for you everyday till you reach home. I knew about your accounts and funds and I was happy you were making a living on your own."