Chapter - 6 Friend or Boss??

The week went by fast with me making every effort to avoid Drake and my every effort going in vain as I end up going to Night College in Drake's car.

Also with the help of one of my colleague I finally managed to get a 1BHK apartment for rent which was not so near to my workplace but it was not as far as the one I had seen earlier. I made up my mind to shift to the apartment next morning as it's Saturday and I neither have office to attend nor college to give lecture.

"Hele, please don't leave. I mean why are you so stubborn on leaving this building and going somewhere else. You know I would be worried for you'' Pearl spoke almost in tears

"Pearl we already had this discussion. We will be meeting everyday at Night College. You can come down to my apartment anytime you want to and spend time with me, I would also meet you here whenever possible. Moreover, because of my presence Albert I mean Bert has almost stopped coming to your room to spend the nights and I feel much guilty.''

''Does it really matter Hele. If I at any point have to choose between you and my boyfriend I would choose you and you know that. Come on you are my best friend''

''I know Pearl, please don't make it difficult for me to make a move. 5 plus months later I am gone to another continent totally. Let me get prepared for the detachment. My moving out is important for both of us''

Pearl felt really bad and left from there making me sigh. But whatever I spoke is truth. I have only Pearl whom I can call as mine, she is the only one I am attached to and I want to get detached slowly, so that when I leave for NY I can feel less pain. I knew it is a stupid logic but still I felt it is right thing.

After packing all my stuff in boxes, I set them in the living room and waited for Pearl to arrive. I wanted to spend some time with my bestie. After an hour Pearl came and I went and hugged her. "

"I am sorry if I hurt you Pearl''

''No, I am sorry. I should have understood you but I was me, silly, stupid and foolish'' she wiped her tears

"I love you Pearl. You know that. You are the only one whom I can share anything with.''

''Okay. I don't want to cry more. Let's spend the night with some movie and popcorn.''

That night we spent watching the movie and slipped into sleep at some point. The next morning Bert came to help me move. Pearl and Bert came along to have a look at my temporary house. I thought Drake would also come but to my disappointment he didn't show up. Somehow I tried not to show my disappointment. I expected Bert or pearl to talk about Drake but none of them spoke about him and I had no guts to ask them about him.

After having their lunch and getting the rest of things set in their places Bert and Pearl bid bye to me and I thanked them many times for their help before they left. Closing the doors I walked towards the couch and looked around. My apartment was small yet cosy. The main door led to a medium size living room, walking straight you would enter the kitchen and a small dining area. The kitchen thankfully was equipped with refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and OTG oven apart from electronic stove and few cupboards. Before entering the kitchen, if you turn left you have a bed room with attached washroom. No bath tub but a shower cubicle, a washbasin and the pot. There were washing machines and dryers available in the basement of the whole apartment complex and I can do the laundry by paying to use those machines.

I took a nap for some time and went to the supermarket nearby to buy the groceries so that I can officially start independent life full-fledged. When I came back, I checked my mobile to see if Drake has called or messaged. There was no way he wouldn't know about my shifting here today as Bert or Pearl would definitely inform him.