chapter 47

draco's pov

"i'll speak to you again when you stop talking out of your ass," blaise sneers at me, meeting my eyes for a split second before he's spinning around to y/n and whisking her away.

i can see her whispering to him frantically, turning over her shoulder to stare at me with wide, frightened eyes multiple times before they disappear through the castle's doors.

"fuck!" i shout, shooting out my foot to kick the leg of the bench— hard. multiple groups of students stare over at me, some might've already been staring, but i'm far too worked up to feel any ounce of shame or embarrassment.

my temper's been like this, since christmas. it's been hard work to suppress it. with every dark spell cast, every session of the dark lord tearing through my mind, i could feel parts of myself falling away. i can feel the dark magic winding its way through my veins, chipping and breaking me down. making my fuse shorter and shorter until i'm a loose canon.

"draco?" a voice comes quietly from behind me, and i spin to see pansy clutching her books to her chest— her jaw completely dropped.

"parkinson," i reply curtly with a small nod.

"parkinson—? dear lord, draco, didn't realize we'd become so formal. you break a bench and shout at your poor girlfriend for no apparent reason and now we're strangers?" she raises her eyebrow with a smirk, sinking into her hip. "i'm assuming her little fit this morning had something to do with you, then? finally screwed it beyond repair? can't say i'm surprised—"

"will you shut it, parkinson?" i say through my teeth, breathing heavily to try and keep my voice down.

"how kind of you not to shout, draco. unfortunate that you didn't give y/n that same courtesy—"

"i said shut it, parkinson," i raise my voice slightly, clenching my fists at my sides.

pansy just laughs, her hands around her books loosening slightly. "knew the real you would come out eventually. mister perfect boyfriend with the cheek kisses and valentine's day gifts could only last so long." she pouts her lips, her eyes still mildly amused as i open my mouth to protest. she cuts me off instantly, "of course— in fifth year you were like that. could hardly believe it myself. the two of you— so in love. but then, of course, that charade faded as well. because, draco, that's not who you are. no— you're the boy who leads girls on and yells at them and belittles them until all they have to rely on is you. trust me, i know how that feels."
she raises a knowing brow, and i'm painfully reminded of everything she and i have been through. the summer y/n was with cedric. all of the parties and nights at the parkinson manor. the afternoons in hogsmeade.

she smirks wider at my face slowly falling.

"and she may have forgiven you after this summer— but i sure haven't. i remember her calling daphne and i by floo in the middle of the night, sobbing because you broke up with her in one. single. sentence."

she advances slowly, her eyes narrowed and centered on my face. "and i knew it was only a matter of time before that draco was back. wish i could say i was happy to see him." she scoffs, giving me a quick up and down glance with her eyes before pushing past me— purposely stabbing the heel of her shoe into my toes.

i hold back a wince through clenched teeth, although it hurts like hell.

now i can add both pansy and blaise to the list of my friends who have turned on me. suppose it was inevitable.

"the fuck you looking at?" i scowl at two first years frozen nearby, eyes widen as they stare between the wrecked bench and me. the scurry off instantly, ducking their heads and running inside where blaise and y/n disappeared.