chapter 49

i wake up anxious and dazed— feeling odd sleeping in my own bed.

i had a horrible rendition of the nightmare last night, one i bury in the furthest depths of my mind to forget about.

pansy's practically jumping with joy as she leaves to meet theo in hogsmeade, wishing me good luck with a smile as she skips out of the dorm.

blaise sits by me at breakfast, asking me a few questions about our transfiguration work to keep my mind off things.

draco doesn't come to breakfast. when crabbe and goyle arrive late, they tell us he's still holed up in the dormitory. blaise nods to them with a sigh, apologizing to me and excusing himself to go check on draco.

after spending the entire morning and afternoon with daphne in the library, working on her project, she finally convinces me it's time to go talk to draco.

reluctantly, i pack up my things, having drawn it out long as i could.

i think over what i want to say, how i feel, and how to approach the situation when i arrive.

i silently pray he took calming draught as i suggested.

as i walk up the remaining four flights to the room of requirement, i pull out the vial daphne gave me for myself. i take it just outside of the library, feeling the effects slowly start to set in.

by the time i'm watching the door appear on the wall in front of me, i can no longer feel the tightening anxiety in my chest or the sudden urge to curl into a ball and sob until morning.

with one, final breath, i push open the door's and walk into draco and i's old room.

but it looks— wildly different.

it's back to the mangled mess of trinkets and objects scattered over every surface, the walls extending back as far as the eye can see. there's two small couch's right when i walk in, facing each other with a coffee table between.

well, this is sure to tip him off.

i groan loudly and tilt my head back, wondering how i could've gotten such shit luck. the room couldn't have held on for one more day?

i stomp over to one of the couches, throwing my bag down and sitting afterward. i throw my legs up onto the coffee table and cross my arms, awaiting the inevitable.

it's a few minutes before i here tinkering in the distance, over a few bookcases and bureaus.

i purposefully pull a book from my bag and drop it loudly on the floor, signaling my arrival with a soft, "shit," as i pick up the 'dropped' textbook.

a few more seconds of shuffling and then a shouted, "y/l/n? is that you?" comes from further into the room.

i recognize his voice immediately, and sigh slightly in relief that someone else hadn't been snooping around in here.

"yeah, it's me," i reply, tucking away my book and sitting up a bit straighter in my seat.

draco comes around the corner soon after, running his hand back through his hair.

of course, of course, he's wearing the green sweater i got him the week after valentine's day— after i insisted i return the favor of a gift. he was adamant that he would never wear it, since it's a lighter green— and yet here he is.

i highly doubt it's a coincidence.

he's got the sleeves rolled up to his elbows from working, and his black pants contrast it perfectly. god, he's insufferable.