chapter 36

the first week of december is filled with sneaking out of the dorm and up to the room of requirement, then proceeding to sneak back into the dorm the next morning. pansy smiles graciously every time we wake up, none the wiser. daphne eyes me suspiciously.

daphne always knows. swear the bitch is studying me in divination.

draco seems better, definitely less tired at least. he hasn't had a single fit while i've been with him, and seems slightly more chipper during the day. chipper by his standards, of course, so he can still be quite moody.

blaise smirks at me whenever i come down for breakfast— he thinks draco and i have been shagging all week. theo always elbows him and tells him to bugger off, giving me an apologetic smile before returning to his food.

the second week of december, things improve even further. draco even smiles and kisses my cheek when he arrives for breakfast. blaise raises his eyebrow teasingly, but dismisses it.

draco had had a breakthrough the previous night. something in the cabinet clicked, something new repaired itself. he spent the entire night smiling and running around the room like a little kid, before settling into bed next to me and kissing across my neck, emboldened by his victory.

i giggled and kissed back, of course— but i do wish the cabinet would go away when he tried to take things farther. it felt... wrong. for gods sake, i was staying in a room he was using to plot an assassination. doesn't really put someone in the mood.

but, i continued to stay in there. for his sake. not like i'm missing much in the dorm anyways. i stay late enough to still get the details from daphne of her blooming relationship with luna. anecdotes of study dates, walks across the grounds, and sweet kisses between classes flood the dorm. i've never seen daphne smile so much.

anytime it's brought up at mealtimes, or in the common room, theo asks an absurd amount of questions. i don't think he quite understands her sexuality. he's a smart bloke, truly, just a bit thick sometimes. blaise always rolls his eyes when theo opens his mouth, or slaps his across the cheek before he can speak.

we're all very grateful for blaise.

"i don't know what he doesn't understand!" daphne sighs one night in the dorm, after another round of '20 questions about bisexuality with theodore nott' in the common room. "i like gents, and i like girls! what's so damn confusing?"

"no clue." i frown, sitting down on her bed next to her. "it'll stick, eventually. think he's just not used to the idea. sure no one in his family's ever come out."

"yeah, you're right." she nods. "think i'm the only one in the whole house."

"i'm convinced crabbe is too." pansy pipes up, emerging from the bathroom. "theo says he hasn't been in the dorm recently, or returns really late. suspicious of you ask me."

"so you think he's seeing a bloke?" i turn around to pansy, furrowing my brow.

"if it was a lady, he would've told them, right?" she quirks a brow, a small smirk on her face.

she's right, of course. she usually is about these things. sees through everyone's secrets easily. surprised she hasn't figured out draco's yet.

i wish i was closer to crabbe— because now i'm horribly curious.

it takes ages for daphne and pansy to fall asleep that night, theorizing for hours who crabbe could possibly be sneaking around with. it's not until 1:00 that they've fallen asleep soundly and i'm able to tip toe out into the castle.

"ah-ha!" i reach the bottom of the stairs, only to be caught be someone leaning against the back of the couch. the tip of a wand lights, illuminating blaise's face smirking back at me.