chapter 35

"anything yet?"

i'm sitting on the stool as draco paces around the room, checking his watch every 30 seconds. it should have been about 5 minutes now, and i'm crossing my fingers beneath the table, praying that the potion will take effect.

"if it doesn't work you can tell me, it really was all experimental-"

"i can't feel it." he stops pacing suddenly, staring down at his arm. "it- it doesn't hurt." his jaw hangs open as he unbuttons his sleeve like he expects the mark to be gone. his eyes widen in shock as he runs his fingers over his mark. and then he smiles and looks up at me. "you're fucking incredible, y/l/n." he laughs wildly, a larger smile breaking out on his face while he runs over to me, scooping me up from the chair and pulling me against him.

"it was all guesswork, really-"

"genius, you're a fucking genius." his hands move from my hips up to my cheeks, holding my face level with his and he laughs and smiles. my heart flutters from his enthusiasm, having not seen a smile like that on his face in forever. his fingers thread through my hair, pulling me towards him for a passionate kiss. i chuckle against his lips, leaning back in after a moment and wrapping my arms around his neck. "how longs it last for?" he says as he finally pulls back, his hands now on my waist and his grin wider than ever.

"three days." i smile back.

"you're fucking with me." he drops the smile, staring at me seriously. i bite back my lip, shaking my head slowly. "oh my god!" he exclaims, tilting his head back.

"happy?"

"you wouldn't believe it." he looks back at me, shaking his head in disbelief. he kisses me quickly, whispering "thank you," quietly before taking a step back.

"back to work again?" i raise my eyebrow as he turns away, cleaning up the work station and buttoning back up his sleeve.

"i suppose i could take a bit longer of a break," he smirks over at me, a childish grin still on his lips.

"yeah? what do you wanna do?" i come to his side, helping clear away the vials and vanish unneeded ingredients.

"i've um- actually been meaning to talk to you about something." he clears his throat, scratching at the back of his neck and leaning his elbow down on the table.

"okay." i say quietly, staying calm as my mind runs through all of the possibilities of what he could need to talk about.

"you know how you said you get... nightmares? about the tournament?" his voice gets slightly softer now, and i see his eyes move off of me.

"mhm." i reply.

"well... i've been getting ones— not about the tournament, obviously— um— about this summer." he clears his throat again with a little sigh. "and, well, theo says i should talk about it— but i'd rather kill myself than talk about feelings with nott— so he suggested i talk to you but— well then i'd have to tell you about this summer and, i'm not sure how'd you react to it all, so—" he laughs, "so i don't know."

i place down the container of asphodel i was holding, turning to face him. he's playing nervously with his rings, staring blankly at the table.

"draco you can tell me." i reach out delicately, placing my hand over his. "i- i'm sure there were plenty of things you... i understand that a lot happened this summer that i won't quite- support- but i won't be upset with you over any of it." i give his hand a small squeeze. "promise."

he takes a second before looking back up at me, giving a weak smile and a small nod before he stands up straight. "can we go back to our room to talk?"