chapter 31

i've never changed faster in my life than when daphne said those two words. with a flick of my wand, i'm in my pajamas and rushing back into our room, yelling at her to follow me right this instant.

"it's really not that big of a deal-"

"it's a huge deal daphne!" i respond, already leaning back on my bed when she turns the corner. enthusiastically, i pat the space in front of me, directing her to sit. i raise my eyebrows expectedly, waiting for her to speak.

"she's in ravenclaw."

"patil?"

"no."

"chang?"

"no- this isn't a guessing game, i'm going to tell you-"

"right, right, sorry." i laugh, running my hand down my face and refocusing, "okay... so? who? how? when? is it just sexual or is it romantic-?"

"i'm getting there, jesus!" she rolls her eyes, leaning back on my bedpost. she pauses for a second, and then a small smile comes across her face, "it's... romantic."

i grin, feeling butterflies in my chest. "mhmmm." i draw out, trying to hold in my excitement

"um... well, things started about a month ago-"

"daphne-!"

"sorry! i know, i wanted to wait until it was... more secure."

"so it's serious-?" i jump up a little

"sh!" she hushes me, waving her hands in the air between us, "besides, you were so caught up with malfoy-"

"don't you ever not tell me things because of malfoy- he can wait." i say firmly, catching her eyes. she smiles widely and nods, continuing her story.

"well, with crabbe and goyle always running off and whatever the hell pansy and nott have- along with the constant bickering between you and malfoy at the time, or maybe you were already shagging again- i honestly can't keep track-" i shoot a soft glare at her, but she just smirks with a small laugh before going on, "-and blaise being... well. blaise." i chuckle and she smiles, "i sought out some friends outside of our little group, mainly in ravenclaw."

i nod, urging her to continue.

"and her and i got pretty close-"

"will you tell me who she is already?" i burst out, leaning forward and grabbing her hands to beg.

"i was going for dramatic flare! build the suspense-"

"i don't want suspense." i pout and shake my head, "please, please, please-"

a knock comes on the door and both of our heads turn.

"y/l/n? you in there?" draco's voice comes from the other side of the wood. daphne's mouth starts to open but i silence her with my finger, staring at the door. "y/n?" draco tries again, rapping his knuckles against the wall.

"you should get that." daphne whispers

"he can wait." i say back with a smirk. she rolls her eyes, waiting before he knocks again to say, "malfoy, come in." and swat my hand away from her face.

"i wanted-" he stops as the door swings open, his eyes looking over to daphne and i on my bed. my eyes watch him as well, his hair still wet and sticking out at odd angles from the shower. his grey long-sleeve pulling tightly over his biceps and shoulders, along with green checkered pajamas bottoms. he clears his throat and straightens his posture. "greengrass, i thought you went off with parkinson to study." he looks over at daphne in surprise.