Lunch 'date'

I drove to my parent's and told them about what happened last night. They were devastated but happy that Genesis and I were alright. I drove to work. It was slow business which surprised me. The door opened and I looked over and saw Gilinsky walk in. I rolled my eyes and pretended to clean something.

"Lacey is that you?" I sighed and looked up.

"Hi." I say bluntly.

"Can we talk now?" He leaned over the counter and looked at me.

"Hello? I'm busy? And how did you know I worked here?" I say back at him.

"Oh really?" He looks around and points to the empty seats. "And Sam told me."

I took a deep breathe, "What Jack?"

"I want to talk about Genesis." I gave him a surprised look.

"Lets sit." I pointed to a seat in the far corner. We both walked over to it and sat down.

"What about Genesis?" I ask sternly.

He hesitated and took a deep breathe, "I want split custody."

I widened my eyes at him and just started laughing, "You're insane." I say.

"How am I 'insane'?"

"You barely know her and now you come into her life two years later and expect me to split my custody with you? You're crazy if you think my answer is going to be a yes."

He took a deep breathe, "Look, I know I fucked up."

"Yeah a lot." I snicker.

"Can you not be complicated?" He asked with a serious expression on his face.

"Okay fine." I mutter.

"I know I screwed up...but I want to be apart of my daughters life."

"I don't know what to say." I look down.

"Just give me a chance. Let her stay with me and Jack toni-"

"No." I cut him off.

"What? Why?" He asked kind of irritated.

"I'm not letting my child spend the night at some strangers house!" I slightly yell.

"I'm not a stranger I'm her father." He tried to argue back.

"You don't even know her. And news flash, she barely knows you."

"Well let me get to know her. I know you hate me...but a child can't grow up without a father." He said while staring into my eyes.

"Can I ask you something?"

"What?" He says back.

"Why?"

"Why what?" He asked getting annoyed.

"Why now do you want to be apart of Genesis's life?" I asked while tapping my fingers.

"Last night...when I saw you hugging her in that man's house..it really hit me." He said while rubbing his neck.

"Okay." Is all I could say back.

"So that's it? You're not going to let me see her?" He asked getting annoyed.

"I never said that you couldn't."

"Well when can I?"

"I don't know." I shrug.

He rolled his eyes, "So what? You're gonna hide her from me forever?" He raised his voice.

"If I let her stay with you for an hour would that make you happy?" I snapped.

"That would make me very happy." He smiled.

"Okay. I'm trusting you Jack." I tell him sternly. I stand up and Jack grabs my hand.

"Thank you." He smiled at me.

"Don't make me regret my decision."