Best Mistake

After my parents left, the rest of us sat in silence.

"Sorry about that scene I caused guys." I said while holding Genesis.

"It's alright Lacey." Sam said. I turned to look at Gilinsky. He looked extremely disappointed.

"Jack. Are you okay?" I place my hand on his.

"I just need some air." He got up and walked out. I caught Sam staring at me.

"Did you really have to hold onto his hand like that?" He sighed loudly.

"He looked sad Sam." I say back.

"I thought you hated him" He scoffed back. I stand up with Genesis.

"I'll be back." I say slightly annoyed and go out to find Jack. I walk out with Genesis following me. I found Jack around the corner. He was sitting on a bench and it looked like he was crying. I jog over.

"Jack. Are you okay?" I sit down next to him.

He wiped his tears, "No. I'm actually not."

I sigh loudly, "Talk to me, I'm here to listen."

"You wouldn't get it." He shook his head.

"Okay? So what if I don't? I'll still listen."

"Okay fine. Do you think I can do it?"

I give him a confused look, "Do what?"

"Be a good father to Genesis." I hesitate. I honestly didn't know.

"See? You don't even think so." He said and stood up.

"Wait." I grab onto his arm. "I think you'd be a great father. But it's a lot of work. You can't be selfish. Sometimes you need to suffer to make the best for your child." I say staring straight into his eyes.

"What do you mean 'suffer'?" He asked slightly nervous.

"I mean that you need cut off most of the fun in your life. Like parties and drinking."

He widened his eyes. "I can't even go to a few?"

I rolled my eyes, "Are you even taking this seriously?"

"Look I'm trying here. I'm just scared for me to screw up. You know? I don't wanna end up not being able to see Genesis." He scratched his neck nervously.

"Why would you think that? You're doing fine now."

"Your mom." He said with a deep breathe.

"What do you mean. My mom?"

"I knew that your parents were in town before you did. I was at the store with Genesis before I dropped her off at your place and um...your mom said a few things." He said while looking down at me.

"What do you mean? What did she say?"

"She told me that I didn't deserve to even look at Genesis and that I'm better off back in Omaha paying child support." He said that with a lot of hurt in his face.

"But she acted like she didn't even know who you were? And what about my dad?"

"He's pretty cool. I mean he wasn't around when she said that to me. Look, I don't want this to cause anything between you guys-"

I heard the door open and close, "I've been waiting for 10 minutes guys. You need to order." Sam said impatiently. He pulled on my hand and walked me inside.

"What were you guys talking about?" Sam whispered loudly in my ear.

"Just about Genesis." I say back.

"Well it took forever." He spat back.

"If you haven't noticed, Jack is her father." I say back while pulling my hand out of his grip. I saw him clench his fists so I walked ahead of him until we found our table. I don't know what was up with Sam, but he was really pissing me off.

We all sat back down and ordered our food.

"Lacey, can I take Genesis today?" Jack asked while drinking his water.

"Sure. But after her dance class."

"Oh right, I forgot about that." He said back.

"Hey Lacey, I think I'm gonna go along with your idea." Sam butted in.

"What idea?" Gilinsky asked.

"Yeah Sam, which idea? I don't remember." I was honestly clueless.

"Being Genesis's stepfather."

A/N sorry this was pretty shitty:/