Ice-cream

"Hang in there girl and make sure my big idiot of a cousin looks after you!" Harper spoke through FaceTime as Ali and I sat on the balcony of our hotel room.

"I heard that!" Joey called from the sofa where he was watching a basketball game rerun.

"He has been amazing, Sophia too. We'll be home this week I think though, keep you updated."

"Alright, miss you all," she said as she blew kisses through the phone.

Harper had been texting all of us for updates the last few days but we hadn't had a chance to actually talk until now. I caught her and Ali up at the same time on meeting Beau today and what the social workers had said and then told them about going past the old house too.

I didn't know what to think about Beau. The reality that even if I decided I did want to care for him full time, the courts might not allow it is something that I hadn't even considered and honestly, the thought of leaving him behind made me sad.

After the phone call ended Ali pulled the box of photos from Jake and started looking through them. There were some of the three of us in there too and lots from when I was a little girl. My mom wasn't in many.

Ali picked one up from my 11th birthday trip to Knott's Berry farm of the both of us standing next to snoopy for a photo. We were recalling memories from that day as my phone began to ring with Daniel flashing up on the screen.

"Hi Daniel," I answered, butterflies immediately in my tummy hoping desperately that Beau's foster mom wouldn't stop us from taking him out.

"Hi Morgan. I've got to be quick as I'm heading into a late meeting, but Mrs Barnes is happy for you to take Beau tomorrow. I'll shoot through her phone number and the address and you can organise it direct with her. I'll be in touch with you in regards to possible custody arrangements and what you decide."

"Ok, that's great. Thanks again Daniel," I replied instantly feeling calmer. When Joey realised who was on the phone he had gotten up from the couch and stood in the doorway to the balcony. I shot him a smile to let him know things were good.

"No worries Morgan. You both deserve for this to work out. I gotta go, bye Morgan."

He hung up before I could say anything else and within moments my phone dinged again with Mrs. Barnes contact details.

"Well, looks like we are going on an ice-cream date. I just have to call his foster mom and organise a time," I beamed at Joey.

"That's great. Mom text me, she's booked dinner for 6, asked to meet us downstairs in 15 minutes. Did you want to come Ali? I'm sure they can add another seat," Joey offered.

"Oh no that's ok. I should get home before my parents start blowing up my phone. Something about I'm finally home for summer but I'm never around," she threw her hands in the air while rolling her eyes.

Fifteen minutes later and Joey and I were waiting for the elevator to meet Sophia downstairs for dinner. Joey stood behind me wrapping his arms around me. It felt good to just be held by him, knowing that he was always here with me.

"I love you," I told him as we stood there, those three words saying more than just that. They were a million thank you's for everything he has done, standing by my side, meeting Beau, this trip, and for loving me endlessly.

I felt him smile as he buried his head into my neck just as the elevator dinged for its arrival. He lightly kissed me before whispering in my ear, "I will always love you and always be by your side. We are a team baby."

Unwrapping from each other's arms we stepped into the elevator and made our way to the foyer. As the doors opened we saw Sophia waiting for us. What we didn't expect was to see David standing by her side too.