Blacktops

We approached the student carpark and I looked around trying to guess which car belonged to Joey. He pressed the button on his keys and I saw the lights flash on a very new looking, gun metal grey Range Rover Evoque. My jaw dropped.

"That's yours?" I asked.

"No, I stole it," he deadpanned.

"Shut up smartass. But seriously? That car is worth more than triple what everything
I've ever owned is worth. How rich are you?" I asked rhetorically, not actually expecting him to tell me at all.

"Harper hasn't told you? Have you seen her car? It's that one over there," he said pointing to a white Audi.

"Well, no. We didn't discuss it, plus she is here on a partial scholarship. I guess I noticed a lot of her stuff is all branded, but didn't give it much thought," I shrugged.

"I'm on a full scholarship. That's why our grandfather bought us both cars for our 18th. Cameron's are old money, but we don't flaunt it really, besides a nice car I guess. We are still really close and our parents drilled into us about how important family is. You see how some rich kids are, they refused to let us be like that."

"How do you continue to surprise me?" I asked, more to myself than to him as we climbed into his car. It was just as nice inside as outside.

"I think I'm in love," I muttered, running my hands along the leather seats.

Joey laughed beside me. "Bit soon to be talking about love isn't it?" He joked. "If I knew I just needed to take you for a drive, I would have started with that!"

"Well I know who to call when I get arrested and need bailing then," I joked back.

"Yeah, you can call Harper," he laughed, making me roll my eyes.

"So do I get to know where we are going yet?"

"You really are impatient aren't you?" He asked and I shrugged in reply, still smiling.

I glanced across at Joey, who was concentrating on the road, but had a small smile playing on his lips and his bright blue eyes sparkling.

We drove through the local town, which I hadn't been to explore yet. It wasn't overly small, but it also wasn't a big city. Down the Main Street that we travelled along, there were plenty of shops, a couple of small hotels and restaurants and a few bars. I imagined some of the other streets around had offices and a few apartment buildings.

Joey took a left turn and then a right before we pulled up at a large park area. I noticed immediately there was a basketball court here. It was old, the lines faded, the wood on the backboard was chipping and the paint coming off. The ring was rusted, with no net. The court itself was asphalt. It was a world away from the fancy stadium at the college that Joey usually played in.

This is the sort of court I spent a lot of time with my dad at and then my final years of high school, hanging out with the boys when I wasn't working after school.

We got out of the car, Joey opening the back door and pulling out a basketball and two water bottles.

"Ready to show me what you've got Walters?" Joey called out.

"Bring it Cameron," I grinned.

We placed our belongings on the side of the court immediately setting up for some one on one. I knew Joey was going easy on me, but I think I was a little better than he had anticipated.

Playing again felt right. I felt like I could let go of some of the stress I had been holding. I could let go of pain caused by my failed relationship with my mother, let go of the shame of being taken advantage of. The stress and worry of needing to succeed at college and needing to make a life for myself.