One Day

Black Friday sales weren't something I usually got to indulge in. I had never had the spare money before, so I had always avoided the ridiculous crowds and chosen to work instead. The tips were usually better over the holidays anyway.

This year however, I was bundled into the car with the rest of the Cameron kids as we made our way to the closest mall. Harper explained how this day had become a tradition with a competition. They didn't need to save money, they could afford to buy whatever they wanted,so a few years back they turned it into a game.

All of them got two hours and $200 to buy as much as they could, as cheap as they could. At the end of the day they would add up what the full price would have been and whoever saved the most amount of money on their purchases got to chose where they had lunch.

Usually, they didn't spend money so casually. Already having told me many times how they rarely flaunted their wealth. Something I had noticed through rooming with Harper. If she wanted to, she could easily have her own apartment off campus. Instead both her and Joey wanted the full college experience. After all, I didn't even know they were wealthy till weeks after I met them.

Joey insisted that I participate this year, not letting me say no when he handed me $200 cash.

"Joey, I can't take this. I don't care how much money your family has, this feels wrong. I have to work days to earn this much and you want me to blow it in two hours?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I want you to do," he stated simply.

I squirmed uncomfortably at the whole idea. A sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Morgan, you're my girlfriend. I intend on you being so for a long time. One day, you will be a Cameron yourself. Then everything I have will be half yours anyway, so taking $200 to have fun and do something you've never done before shouldn't be that big of a deal," he stated firmly.

He lost me at the part where I will one day be a Cameron myself. I care for him deeply, I know I'm falling in love with him, but is he already planning our future together?

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

"Which part?" He smiled smugly, curling my hand around the cash firmly.

"Never mind," I mumbled, taking the money instead of continuing to argue in the middle of the mall about it. I couldn't shake what he said, but I decided I would bring it up with him again in private.

"Is everyone ready?" Harper called over to us and we all nodded. "All of you set an alarm for 11am. We start as soon as the clock ticks to 9am, and no teamwork!" She instructed, looking pointedly at the twins as we all set alarms.

Harper watched the time on her phone and as soon as it clicked from 8.59am to 9.00am the rest of the group all took off running to their first store. I stood bewildered at the whole concept, finally making my way to the first shop I saw.

The two hours went incredibly fast. I feel like I spent half of it lined up to pay, but I managed to spend the full $200. I didn't think I purchased many great bargains and definitely wasn't aiming to win their little competition.

I found some new converse at 50% off, skinny jeans in both black and white wash and couple of knit sweaters to get me through the upcoming winter. I may have also snuck into Victoria Secret to make Joey's birthday a little more special, but hid that bag within some others. His cousins and sisters didn't need to see that.

At 11am, we all met in the food court. Finding a table, we sat down to add up our savings. Surprisingly Cooper had won, who knew the boy could bargain hunt.