Birthday

We had to set 4 alarms on both our phones to make sure we both got up in time in the morning. We needed to be up before the sun for the first surprise I had organised.

"Happy Birthday babe, but I need you to get up," I whispered, kissing him on his head.

"This doesn't feel like a very happy birthday when your making me get up so early," Joey grumbled.

"It will be worth it, trust me. Get up and put these clothes on. We have to get going," I insisted, ripping the warm blankets from the bed and throwing the clothes I'd chosen at him.

"Morgan, the sun isn't even up yet!" He whined in quite possibly the most childish tone I'd heard from him.

"That's the point! Please just trust me," I pulled at his hands making him sit up.

I watched as he rubbed his eyes and slowly made his way to the bathroom, dragging his feet the whole way and mumbling under his breath about how early it was.

Fifteen minutes later we were ready, both of us in jeans and warm jackets. We made our way downstairs where his parents were waiting in the kitchen with coffee for us in travel cups.

"Happy Birthday sweetie," Sophia wished him as she placed a kiss on his sleepy head and wrapped him up in a quick hug.

"Thanks Mom," he mumbled tiredly.

"Happy Birthday son," David shook his hand next and pulled him in for a hug.

"Are you both in on this?" He questioned.

"This was all Morgan's idea, we helped a little bit with logistics. Stop grumbling and appreciate what your girlfriend has done for you," David scolded him.

I confirmed with them that everything was in order for the day, all while Joey eyed us all suspiciously. He doesn't like being left in the dark and especially doesn't like not being in control, I think it's the captain in him.

"Hand me your keys, I'm driving," I held out my hand to him.

"What? You're driving? My car? No, I don't think so."

"Yes. You can't drive if you don't where we are going. Do you not trust me to drive your car?" I questioned, smiling smugly as I glanced at his parents who knew this would be his reaction.

"Ok, fine. I trust you. Maybe I can sleep some more," he mumbled as he reluctantly handed over the keys.

"Excellent. Now let's go! We can't be late and you've already dragged your feet enough this morning," I pecked him on the cheek, grinning at his parents and took the travel mugs before practically skipping to the garage.

"I like her. I like her a lot," I heard David say amusement clear in his tone.

Joey mustn't have been too worried about my driving, because he had nodded back off to sleep after the first ten minutes in the car. I preferred that, because then he wouldn't see any signs to where we were heading and wouldn't hound me for clues the entire drive.

Forty minutes later, I took the final turn off the smooth road through a gate and down a rough dirt road. The bumpy road was enough to wake Joey. I glanced at his sleepy face, smiling at how gorgeous he looked moving from his sleepy state to a confused one about where we were.

"Hey birthday boy, have a good nap?"

"Mmmm. Where are we?" He asked curiously.

"At your first surprise. I didn't know what to buy you, you don't really need much and when you do, you just buy it. So I thought about an experience we could share together. I'll admit, Harper and your parents helped me with this whole day, well except surprise three."