Avoiding

It's been two weeks now since the almost kiss and me acknowledging my feelings for Joey out loud. I have somewhat successfully avoided him and any requests to hang out, only seeing him in class or for a few moments.
Even when he asked us to work on our assignment, I suggested we work on our own for a bit, then we can come together and compare and combine notes. I knew eventually I would have to spend time with him.

I had taken shifts on days that he doesn't train so our schedules always clashed and I hadn't been to any parties since the last one ended so badly. I still watched their basketball games, but we didn't stick around after.

It wasn't for lack of trying on his part. He would text me, drop into The Busy Bean and ask to hang out, he even tried showing up at our dorm room a couple of times. Harper would warn me, so I went to the library instead.

It wasn't that I didn't want to see him. I just needed to sort out my feelings and what I want right now. I need to be number one. The problem with that was he was in my every thoughts, distracting me from my school work and even when I was at work I would hope it was him walking through the door. I dreamt of him, those sparkling bright blue eyes, sweat dripping down his body, that sexy v that I imagined running my tongue along. Some mornings had me waking up more hot and bothered than I care to admit.

Every time he text, I got butterflies at the thought he was thinking of me. If anything, it's time to admit that this avoiding was only making myself go crazy and anticipation for him grow.

It was Sunday evening and I was studying in my room with Harper. My phone buzzed beside me, knowing the only people to ever text me are Ali, Harper and Joey, it didn't leave many options. Harper was beside me and Ali I knew was on a date.

I smiled as I saw it was Joey, making Harper snort from her bed. I raised my eyebrow at her in question.

"Why are you avoiding him still? You like him, he obviously wants to see you and talk to you. What are you scared of?" She asks.

"I don't know. Putting myself out there. Getting hurt. Getting too distracted from my school work."

"So you're going to just runaway instead? Or you could take a chance and it could be something wonderful. At the very least, even if it was short term it could make you feel good and happy for a little while. You will only regret the chances you don't take and if he moves on and you see him with someone else, you will be more heartbroken than if it doesn't work out."

"How long have you been working on that speech?"

"I considered getting you some quotes for your wall, just like mine, about taking chances in life," she shrugged and I laughed.

I picked up my phone to read what he had sent.

Joey: Morgan, I know by now you are avoiding me, but we really need to work on our assignment together, proposal due Friday. Can we meet tomorrow?

Morgan: Sure. 8pm again after training?

Joey: Perfect.

"So? What did he want?" Harper asked.

"Just to catch up and do our assignment. I said yes, we have to submit our initial proposal this Friday, so I can't avoid him now."

"Good! Maybe you two can talk, or finally kiss, maybe just screw it out of your system!"

Monday night came faster than I anticipated. We didn't talk much in class and I rushed off after. Even Ryan didn't make his usual comments, obviously picking up on the tension. I worked a late shift at The Busy Bean, then came here. To the brown house I'm currently standing out the front of, willing myself to go inside.